This Page

has been moved to new address

Deep Pocket Scarf TUTORIAL {by my girl Delia}

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Deep Pocket Scarf TUTORIAL {by my girl Delia}

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Deep Pocket Scarf TUTORIAL {by my girl Delia}


Meet Delia!
We like Delia.
Delia has a blog.
We LOVE Delia's blog.
She makes us smile,
because she is real, and she is beautiful,
and we like real, beautiful gals!

She is a Super Momma, to two super boys.
And seeing this picture of her with her boys makes my ovaries ache for another little munchkin.
She is a crafty super star--no really, she is.
See for yourself.

And because she is also awesome, she teaches her readers how to make these {and more} on her blog:




And now, I leave you in the very talented hands of Delia!

Hello Little Miss Momma readers!

I am super excited to be here guest posting today.

I sincerely love Ashley and her blog. She is beautiful inside and out. She has great style and is honest. She tells it like it is. I love that she doesn't sugarcoat her life but instead shares the awesome and awkward with us. :) She definitely inspires me in craft pursuits, and in life.

She asked me to share something Thanksgiving related with you but...I failed. All I have been thinking about is Christmas!

Once I hand out that last Halloween treat, I am mentally singing Jingle Bells until New Years. I don't like to decorate just yet - in fact the thought gives me hives, but for the whole month of November I am hand-making gifts, crafting up the Christmas decor to put up later, preparing my advent calendars and planning, planning, planning. So the closest thing I could come up with for Thanksgiving is actually something you might need the day after...Black Friday!

A deep pocket scarf...

It is a simple fleece scarf with deep pockets for your hands.
If you forget gloves...no problem. 
If you live in a freezing cold, snowy place like me, they are an extra layer of insulation from the cold if you are wearing gloves.

So while you're waiting in line at 4 am you can stay warm....well as warm as you can get I guess. :)

They are fun, easy, and inexpensive to make! My kind of project.
Let's get started.

Materials:

1/2 yard of good quality fleece. Most fleece is 60 wide. This is what you want and the measurements I will be using. It should be nice and thick and soft. It is sometimes a little bit more expensive but not by much. I got mine at Walmart for $4.44/yd. So it came to about $2.50 ish after tax.

Sewing machine
scissors and a rotary cutter is nice but not necessary



1. Cut your fleece in half. Your piece should be about 9 inches wide and 60 inches long.

2. Cut the second piece of fleece into rectangles to extend the length of your scarf.
You want to try to match up the pattern if you can. I cut my length to 12.5 inches long and 9 inches wide. Save the extra material for the pockets for later.

3. Pin right sides together.
If you look closely there is a right and wrong side to fleece. Well, different sides I should say. You can decide which one is "right" for your project purposes. There is a smoother side and a slightly fuzzy side. Just make sure the sides match.

Sew along the short side leaving a quarter inch seam. Repeat for the other end of the scarf.
4. You can leave the seam out and raw. I like to sew it down so it looks a little cleaner. Pin if you like. I didn't. I just pushed it downward and sewed a parallel line to the first seam.
 Go slow to make sure you get a nice straight line and to ensure you catch the seam.
 
 5. Now add your pockets. I cut mine about 10 long and 9 wide to match the width of the scarf. I tried to match the pattern as much as I could here too.
 6. Pin the pockets about 2.5 inches above the end of the scarf. You are going to cut fringe here in a bit. If you want longer or shorter fringe, by all means adjust this measurement.
 7. Sew around all sides except for the top of the pocket. I sewed a 1/8 inch seam. I started at the top side of  the pocket and when back and forth 4-5 times before continuing on around the pocket. I then went back and forth at the end or top part of the other side of the pocket to strengthen it. The top of the pocket gets pulled on a lot so it just helps it hold better.

Repeat for the second pocket.
 8. Cut your fringe.
And you're done!

Of course you can do this without pockets. You will likely want to just use a 1/4 yard piece of fleece. This scarf is measured to be longer so that when you wrap it around your neck you can still comfortably put your hands in the pockets. If you want one without pockets. Stop after step 1, cut your fringe and you're done. A warm fleece scarf for a buck.
If you want a fancier pocket, I give you a word of warning. I tried a gathered pocket front. It made the scarf heavy and bulky at the ends. It made it look awkward and the pocket wasn't as attractive on the scarf as it was before I attached it. You might have better luck, just be warned that any bulk on the scarf can look different than you thought...that's how it went for me.

I like how streamlined this pocket is. If you aren't using them they don't get in your way or stand out too much. Plus this is easier to make. :)

Because of the extra length you can wrap it around your face. Add a beanie...or three...and you're set for crazy shopping at the wee hours of the morning. 
My hair looks like it is the wee hours of the morning here. :) I was going for that look...right...

If you prefer to knot your scarf in the front it works well that way too.

Don't you love how I kind of picked a Christmasy print too? Ha ha. Sorry Ashley. If it matters, I plan on wearing this print in February too!...Heck...April since it snows that long around here.

Thank you again for letting me visit.

Have a great day and stay warm everyone!

Happy Crafting!

Be sure to stop by Delia Creates and tell her LMM thinks she's PURE awesome!

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At November 11, 2010 at 4:52 AM , Blogger Ali Rockwell said...

I love this!! I have been in scarf making mode for the last week or so, and this has definitely been added to my list of cold weather projects! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!!

 
At November 11, 2010 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I am super excited to make this for myself. It is super cute and looks pretty easy. Thanks for sharing your idea :)

 
At November 11, 2010 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Delia said...

Awww...thank you Ashley for the kind words!

 
At November 11, 2010 at 7:57 AM , Blogger Kari Sweeten said...

This is a genius gift idea!! I'll definitely be linking.

Thanks to both of you for sharing!

 
At November 11, 2010 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

LOVE!! Thanks so much for sharing! I will be making some of these for Christmas gifts! My nieces will love them!

 
At November 11, 2010 at 1:09 PM , Blogger Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Delia, you are amazing!!

 
At November 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Danylle McLain said...

I love this! I have some red fleece somewhere :) I am going to dig it out now. Thanks for the inspiration! ~ Danylle

 
At November 12, 2010 at 12:01 AM , Blogger Emily - faliLV said...

Yay! Now I have an idea for my brother's Christmas Gift!! Thank you!

 
At November 12, 2010 at 3:31 AM , Blogger Sydney said...

This will be really great for the kids on the playground. They forget their gloves or lose one and this makes sure they stay warm...

 
At November 12, 2010 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Desiree said...

Oh gosh, I can see making a bunch of these for Christmas presents!!

 
At November 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM , Anonymous Heidi said...

I love it. Makes me want to have a little boy next!

Heidi @ http://everydayfamilies.blogspot.com/

 
At November 13, 2010 at 1:07 PM , Anonymous Heather said...

I love this! I want to make a million! Thanks for the tute!

 
At November 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM , Blogger Chelsea said...

I given you an award! Check it out at my blog, The Crafter's Anonymous Club.

 
At November 14, 2010 at 2:18 AM , Blogger Maria de Fátima said...

Nossssssaaaaa!
Quero uma super festa assim...
Amei seu blog.
Já estou te seguindo...
Beijos

 
At November 17, 2010 at 6:38 PM , Blogger B said...

Hey! Long time no chat! Thanks so much for sharing Delia with us! hehe. I love this scarf...so...much! We just got our first snowstorm today..and I think I need to make one of these stat! :P

~ www.billiemonster.com ~

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home