This Page

has been moved to new address

How to Stencil a Purse or Tote

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: How to Stencil a Purse or Tote

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How to Stencil a Purse or Tote

DIY Stencil Tote
How to stencil on your favorite tote or purse.
Perfect for canvas, burlap and cotton market bags.



Materials:
Canvas, cotton or burlap tote {I got mine from the sale section at Cost Plus}
Queen Bee Stencil from Your Memories Captured
Fabric paint
Sponge brush
Scotch Tape {not pictured}

{purchase stencil here}

First, securely tape your stencil in place.
Be sure you have smoothed the stencil out as much as possible, and that there are no wrinkles in the fabric.
It may be best to iron your fabric first.

Now, always remember that "less is more" when painting the stencil.
Apply a small amount of the fabric paint to your sponge brush and then dab the brush on a paper towel to remove any extra paint.

I like to hold down the part of the stencil that I will be painting in.
This way I can be sure that no paint gets outside the lines.
DAB, don't brush the paint onto the stencil.


Like I said, less is more--so start with a thin first layer of paint over the entire stencil. Then paint another coat until you have your desired coverage.


If you hold the stencil in place like I do, then your fingers will look like this after.  The mark of a true crafter.


This is my stencil all painted in.
I purposely didn't paint evenly because I wanted the more "worn out" and vintage look.


Slowly remove your stencil and allow the paint to dry.
It is easiest if you wash your stencil right away.
Just place under a stream of warm/hot water with a bit of dish soap.
You won't even need to scrub--the paint will rinse right off.


And that's it!


I have so many fun projects planned for this stencil:
  • burlap pillow
  • framed picture
  • place mats
  • cork board
Be sure to check out all the other inspiring stencils from
____________________________________________________

And I will see you tomorrow for the
I SPY: jewelry and shoes edition

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At April 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

very cute! looks perfect for summer

 
At April 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM , Blogger Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

Could you be any faster....I don't think so?! Looks AMAZING! Can't wait to give the chevron stencil a whirl!

 
At April 26, 2011 at 2:51 PM , Blogger What Sadie Did said...

Really like this project - the fab bee stencil looks great on that bag! :)

Sadie x
http://whatsadiedid.blogspot.com/

 
At April 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM , Blogger Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

super cute ashley!

 
At April 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM , Blogger claudia b said...

Ashley, this is awesome! I have a couple of plain canvas bags that need a makeover, thanks for sharing!

 
At April 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Carmella said...

Love it!! I have just the perfect little canvas purse just waiting for something like this :)

 
At April 26, 2011 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Look at you in your cute little red jeans. The whole look is very nautical. I love it! The bag turned out really cute. Thanks for the tutorial. I'll have to try this.

 
At April 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM , Blogger Heather said...

You are so crafty!! I hopped over to your blog via @Alyssa_Milano's tweet about your cake pops (which I mentioned in a recent blog post!) and have enjoyed your blog every since! Keep the great ideas coming! :)

 
At April 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM , Blogger Wilson Family said...

How cute is that!! It makes me want to go out and purchase stencils and burlap. Adorable!!

 
At April 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Michelle {Daydream Believers} said...

Very cute project, Ashley! :)

 
At April 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

that is totally cute!

 
At April 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM , Blogger Jayna Rae said...

Cuteness!!! I love your polka dot scarf that is peeking out in one of the photos too.

 
At April 26, 2011 at 9:02 PM , Blogger Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Love the bag! Love stencils! And hello cute red jeans!!

 
At April 26, 2011 at 9:14 PM , Anonymous Leslie @ Natural Domestic Living said...

What an awesome idea! I just started making my own shopping bags for groceries and this would be an awesome idea to add some personalization. Thanks!

 
At April 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Kelli said...

Very cute!

xoxo
kelli@loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

 
At April 26, 2011 at 9:28 PM , Blogger Mindy Harris said...

awesome job, lady!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM , Blogger Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Very cute! What a great way to spruce up a boring old tote! Creative.
-Lindsay
Delighted Momma

 
At April 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That turned out really nice. I bet it'd look like crap if I did it.

 
At April 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Kristi Hoskins said...

This is a great idea! I've had a fleur de lis stencil for almost a YEAR now and had no idea what to do with it! I will be trying this very soon!

 
At April 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute idea! Now I have an excuse to use all my paints that are just taking up space in my craft room. Now to find some cute stencils...

 
At May 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM , Blogger Shahny said...

Cute! I love it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home