This Page

has been moved to new address

How to Curl Your Hair: Wavy Curls

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: How to Curl Your Hair: Wavy Curls

Sunday, April 3, 2011

How to Curl Your Hair: Wavy Curls

How to Curl Your Hair: Wavy Curls

Wavy hair makes me happy.  It means less blow drying, less brushing, less straightening, and more volume.


Many of you have emailed me wondering how I get the lose curls in my hair.
And honestly, I can't take the credit.
I watched this tutorial on The Daybook and it changed my life.
Seriously, any tutorial that cuts the time it takes me to do my hair in HALF, is life altering.  Watch Sydney's tutorial, it will change you life too.

However, we all have different hair, and therefore need different techniques to make certain styles work for us.  So I do a few things different than The Daybook, to make the look work for me.

And here's what I do to create my messy curls:


My products:
Big Sexy Hair Spray
Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves
1.5 inch barrel curling iron
Straightener {optional} 




First I take a shower at night.
I brush through my hair, then spray about 4 pumps of the Wonder Waves. I part my hair the way I wear it normally. Then I scrunch my hair lightly, and wait for it to air dry. Sometimes, I blow dry my bangs so they don't get to crazy. Once my hair is air dry {damp} I pull it back in a lose braid, and tuck my bangs behind my ears.
Then I go to bed.
When I wake up I look like this:



A lot of my hair has fallen out of the braid, but that's ok.
Also note that I don't braid my hair all the way to the bottom. I leave about 3.5 inches because I don't like when the bottom of my hair gets all kinked.




Then I un-braid my hair. And it is in ULTRA messy/stringy waves. 


And I have cowlicks on my bangs.


So I take my straightener to my bangs.  I pull down all the front pieces and I straighten them together, curling the straightener under at the ends, so that the ends of my hair curl around my face just a bit.
Note: you must roll your eyes to the back of your head for this straightening technique to really work, see photo for reference.



I also straighten out any other weird kinked parts of my hair. I tend to like the soft straight look on top, and the curled look on the bottom--so I often straighten the top of my hair about 3 inches down, all the way around my head.


Now I am ready to start curling.  I put half my hair up in a pony tail.
What's that? You're noticing that my hair looks a bit weird like this...


That's because this is where you can see my hair extensions.  They make up about 25% of my hair.  They don't add any length, but they add volume.  Read this, if you're new here and wondering why I need extensions.


I take the first chunk of hair, about this much...



And then I start curling from the MIDDLE first.
This is the MOST important trick I learned from Sydney.  I always wondered why my curls would fall out so quickly in the past--then I learned, that if you start your curl half way up the strand, it lasts waaaayyy longer.



Leave the curling iron there for about 10 seconds. Then loosen the grip and pull the curling iron down to the end of your hair.



Then re-roll it all the way up to the top.



Wait another 5-10 seconds and then slowly release the hair.





Then I use my fingers to lightly separate the curls.



Continue this step with the remaining hair.


Then take your hair out of the pony tail, and follow the same steps on the top. I like to curl the strands in front AWAY from my face--that way they have more of a "Charlie's Angels" look.



Then spray once over with your hair spray.



And that's it.
I can usually get this to last 2 days before washing again {or putting it up in a baseball cap}.



A bit messy, a bit curly--that's the way I like it.



{outfit post for this to come soon}

******************************************************
Say hello to your fabulous sponsor,
not like she needs an introduction
since she is pretty much world famous and 100% awesome.

Photobucket


**************************************************************

And the WINNER of the Mod Memento GIVEAWAY

CONGRATS to comment #212

M.O.T.B said...
keegan + mandy
One boy...one girl...Flirted in science...She asked him out...He accepted...October 4th,1992...Love at 15...Snowball and baseball games...Heartbreak and betrayal...Distance could not erase...Phone calls and emails...15 years later...He climbed a ladder made my dreams come true...October 4th,2006...Forever...June 6th,2007 met the first living breathing symbol of their love...Aidan Kale...And February 14th, 2009 their second Kamden Kane...And that boy and that girl...haven't looked back...
...to be continued

And there is still time to use your discount code:
15% OFF
code: MODMOMMA15

**************************************************

And today I am guest posting over at cool kids.
Please come say hi!


 

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Labels: , , ,

40 Comments:

At April 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do have nice hair! Mine is the kind that doesn't keep curl very long. I am going to try the "curl the middle first" idea and see if it works for me. Thanks for the tips!

 
At April 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM , Blogger Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

Ok nerd, and you thought that shirt wouldn't look as cute with that skirt....WRONG! So glad you got the different color, it looks adorable and is a little branch out. How the pockets doing?

 
At April 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM , Blogger Candace said...

Such a cute look! I have super curly hair, but sometimes wish I could get softer curls, but it unfortunately only gets frizzy

 
At April 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Jayna Rae said...

Do you have to re-curl later in the day, or for day two?
Just wondering.
Always looks awesome.
Cute outfit. I can't wait to see a wider shot for full effect.

 
At April 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM , Blogger ahappygirl said...

You need to stop being so cute and wonderful and amazing.

No, just kidding...don't.

Just move to Utah so we can hang out. ;)

xoxo.

 
At April 3, 2011 at 11:26 PM , Blogger Connie said...

Thank you for posting this!!! I was just telling Hubby tonight that I have GOT to figure out something to do with this hair :) Cannot wait to give this a try!!!

 
At April 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM , Blogger Casey said...

I adore your hair - thank you for sharing this!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 12:09 AM , Blogger Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing this! I always need hair style tips. This is perfect for moms!! I have to wash my hair at night and I never know what to do with it but now I do... Thanks again!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 5:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

great tutorial! I have short hair, so it's no good to me, but I still loved reading it. When I had long hair I did a lot of the same techniques, except used a straighener and "ribboned" my hair instead. Super fun :)

 
At April 4, 2011 at 5:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Sexy Hair is my go-to for my waves too! Love it!
Have you tried Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Conditioning Spray? Its awesome!!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Miranda said...

I can't wait til my hair gets a little longer and I can make it curly without it being poofy.
Yours is adorable!

Miranda
www.indcfashion.com

 
At April 4, 2011 at 7:22 AM , Blogger lori said...

thank you for this post! my hair is super long and boring and ive been wanting to try new styles!

also, i have that shirt... so im super excited to see how you wear it!!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 7:38 AM , Blogger Erica @ Acire Adventures said...

Yay! I've been wishing for this tutorial. Your hair looks amazing. :)

 
At April 4, 2011 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Heather Mullin said...

Thank you for sharing your hair secret! I am so excited to try it now! YAY! Hope you have an awesome day!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Blogger thepaisleytab said...

Fabulous Tutorial. I needed that and I've been wanting this look. :) Thanks. I'm going to try it. You have gorgeous hair!

T!ffany

www.thepaisleytab.com

 
At April 4, 2011 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

SUPER cute! I love your hair though... you could do anything with it and I would love it! haha

 
At April 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger MKR Creations said...

Wow! It looks gorgeous!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Brittany@Love Stitched said...

Your too cute! love ya tons! your hair always looks great...even in a messy bedhead braid! :)

 
At April 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM , Blogger beau&lindee said...

LOVE THIS. thanks for the tip, i will be trying it!
new follower:)
follow me here
www.beauandlindeeshow.blogspot.com

 
At April 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Marie said...

beautiful!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I think your hair is beautiful! You did a great job with the tutorial. :) I actually posted about a bad hair cut today...maybe when my hair grows out again, I can try your technique. For now, it's hot rollers to add some volume for me. :(

 
At April 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM , Blogger Natalia Lynn said...

I love this and have been wanting to try it for so long! I need a curling iron first!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 12:17 PM , Anonymous Rebecca@This Present Life said...

Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to have to give this a try because my hair is STRAIGHT and usually doesn't hold a curl. But I've never heard the tip where you curl starting in the middle so maybe it will work for me!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Jamie Rubeis said...

Hmmm. Interesting! Looks easy enough, but wait until I go try it. I am sure to have some issues!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Sara said...

This couldn't have been more timely. I have long hair and it's really thick and kind of curly/wavy (needs to be tamed)... this might be a great trick for me. And the shower at night is key b/c I don't have the time in the a.m. to really spend time doing my hair. thanks for sharing!!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM , Blogger Caity said...

wow i so wish you had this up sat. lol i was researching how to curl my hair like this for a bachlorette party. BUT i am so thankful you put this up thankyou because of course i have rehearsal dinner and my birthday coming up so this technique will come in handy

 
At April 4, 2011 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Michelle Life Buy The Beach said...

anything to cut the hair prep time down. I'm gonna try this!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM , Blogger What Sadie Did said...

I need to try this - looks great! Thanks for sharing :)

Sadie x

http://whatsadiedid.blogspot.com/

 
At April 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM , Blogger The Brownings said...

Hey girlie!
I have some questions about your extensions actually!! I used to have the ones that you put in with beads but have taken them out. I've used the clip in ones before and love them. Is that what you use? Do you sleep in them? Is there product that you use to keep them in?
Thanks love!!!
xoxo
Jenny

 
At April 4, 2011 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Nelah said...

I have always wanted my hair to look like yours but it end up looking nothing like that lol. Gorgeous hair you have. I will have to try Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves. Thanks for this lovely tutorial.

 
At April 5, 2011 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Candace said...

I LOVE your blog...I noticed in your pictures your super cute accessory holder...where did you get that? I have never seen anything like it?

 
At April 5, 2011 at 10:06 AM , Blogger meg anthony said...

Thank you for this! So sad that we all need help on how to curl our hair...but I most definitely do!

 
At April 5, 2011 at 7:23 PM , Blogger jalopy and gray said...

I'm honestly surprised there haven't been any, "GASP, OMGosh you don't wash your hair everyday" posts. Anytime I mention to people I wash my hair about every 3 days they act like I may be too dirty to be their friend! Your hair is gorgeous, and so are you! Thanks for the post!

 
At April 6, 2011 at 10:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pretty! :)

 
At April 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, your hair is absolutely awesome! I love the color and texture and EVERYTHING! Not to mention you are gorgeous, so it all just goes together. There is really no point to my comment, other than to tell you I think you are gorgeous and this was a great tutorial. Thanks!

 
At April 7, 2011 at 5:55 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

Love this. It is just what I needed. You and I have similar hair. Mine is long, layered, not straight, but not curly either. It usually lives in a ponytail during the week. I already used the Garnier product and had a large curling iron... so I tried your curl from the middle technique this morning - AWESOMENESS! I feel like a movie star today and I only had to put 10 minutes into it. My kids aren't going to know who I am when they wake up :)

 
At April 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Celesa Felix said...

You are seriously too cute! I have found your blog from I Heart Nap Time! You both are so amazing and talented. I am so glad I have found you both. Thanks for the tutorial. This makes me wish I had my long hair again.

 
At April 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

love it, tried it, did it, blogged about it!!

Stacey @ Maple Bacon and Beavertails.

http://maplebaconbeavertails.blogspot.com/2011/04/wavy-hair-i-think-so.html

 
At April 19, 2011 at 11:05 AM , Blogger KT.Eves said...

Question #1: When we gonna see this (what looks to be adorable) outfit post?!?!

Quesiton #2: How do you tie your belts?

Thanks hun! :)

 
At July 7, 2011 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I admire the beneficial facts you offer in your articles . Thank you so much for sharing! I'm sharing this hair extensions article that we have. This would surely be of great help to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home