This Page

has been moved to new address

DIY Feather Extension Headband Tutorial

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: DIY Feather Extension Headband Tutorial

Monday, July 18, 2011

DIY Feather Extension Headband Tutorial

How to Make a Feather Extension Headband

Feather extensions and earrings are all the rage right now {especially peacock feathers}.  Very bohemian, very awesome.  So rather than create earrings or a clip in extension, I thought about attaching the feathers to a subtle headband.  And this is what I got.   

  

It seriously only took about 5 minutes to create.
Here's how I did it:


Supplies:
Blank headband
Clear thread
Hot glue gun
Two very small strips of fabric
Feathers of your choice
*I purchased my feathers at Joann's and they were already finished on the ends with a clear thread loop. The brand is Touch of Nature.

First, take your clear thread and measure about four inches longer than you actually want your feathers to hang.  For example, I wanted my feathers to hang about 2.5 inches from the base of my headband--so I cut the thread at 6.5 inches.


Find the loop part on the end of your feather.


Tie your clear thread to the feather with a double knot. Repeat this same step with the second feather and the second peice of thread.


See how the thread is basically invisible and it looks like the feather is suspended in mid-air.  This way it will blend in with your hair without any bulky strings or rope.


Take some fabric scrap and cut two strips about 1.5 inches long {no need to be exact here because you can always trim the excess later}.


Now for the sorta tricky part. 

1. Lay down your fabric scrap and place a drop of hot glue as shown in step one. Then the other end of your clear thread right in the drop of glue. Then lay the end of your headband in the glue on top of the clear thread.
2. Wrap the end of the fabric over the hot glue so that it holds in place.
3. Continue wrapping the fabric around the headband.
4. Put a drop of glue on the end of the fabric and secure in place. Trim any excess string.  *Repeat these steps with the other feather on the other side of the headband.



It should look something like this when you hold it up.


I love how it blends in with hair, almost like it was a feather extension.


My Mom just got a Brazillion Blow Out on her hair, so I made her model my headband on her blonde hair below:



So that's it.
Kinda neat, huh.

Happy Crafting!

_______________________________________________________

I am sharing my Life List over at A Happy Girl today.
Tahnie is having a blogger series about taking chances and making "big jumps" in life.  Please stop by and say hi--Tahnie is the sweetest gal and momma ever!

Labels: , ,

47 Comments:

At July 18, 2011 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Nichelle @ Vintage Wanna Bee said...

I LOVE THIS... Off to the craft store...

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM , Blogger Rhianna said...

I believe I just fell in love. Hahah No really. I love this! This just landed on my list!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Um, brilliant. I need to make this.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Lena B, Actually said...

Love this! And it seems easy enough for even ME to do!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM , Blogger Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs said...

Wow that is SO cool! I LOVE this! I have been curious about the whole feather hair extension thing... THIS is a cool idea! I definitely wanna make some for myself!! :)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM , Anonymous Arm Candy For You said...

oh I love it!................I am totally trying this out:)
thank you for posting it!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Mandy Vandiver said...

Can't wait to make this!! You're so smart and creative!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:03 PM , Blogger Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Love it!!!!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You're so creative! Love this idea!

-Kendall
{songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Nelah said...

They look really cool, yet easy to make. Thanks for this tutorial.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY VERY cool. :)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Audrey Crisp said...

Amazing! So cute! Thanks for the tutorial!!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

so pretty!!! what a great idea:) i'll have to give this a try!

xoxo

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Janie said...

LOVE IT!!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Jenna said...

love it. i wonder if it would look okay in shorter hair?!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Very cool and creative. Is there anything you can't do?

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Allyce said...

Very cute. You are so creative! I am definitely trying this!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:12 PM , Blogger Megan said...

You' re a genius! So cute! Definitely making one :)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:19 PM , Anonymous alicia said...

I'm not a fan of the current "feather" trend. BUT, I like this!... A LOT. It is more unique than the typical neon feathers my friends have been getting.... ALSO, low maintenance and not as permanent!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Jen said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE and it's SO you! I'll have to see if I can pull it off.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Kelsey said...

This is such a great idea! My sister got the real feather extensions, and I really like them. I just don't think my job would appreciate them!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 8:03 PM , Blogger minihousemightyhearts said...

Okay, I just realized you're a Gone With the Wind fan from your guest post.......I have definitely read that book 3 times....WHEN you have your party, you wouldn't mind having a link up party as well would you? Complete with people wearing hoop skirts in their pictures?....You know....for people who would like to do that sort of thing.....Hahaha okay I'm a weirdo! That's awesome that you love that book so much!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 8:28 PM , Blogger Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

LOVE IT!! Thanks for the tutorial.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 8:43 PM , Blogger Renae said...

such a GREAT idea... I love it!
it looks good on you (and your mama). This little craft my just inspire me to blow my hair straight :0)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 8:51 PM , Blogger ilene @ muchloveilly said...

that's super impressive!!! love this!!!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 8:53 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

Genius idea :) Your momma has GORGEOUS hair! :)

 
At July 19, 2011 at 4:39 AM , Blogger jackie said...

ooh i like it! thanks for making it so easy

 
At July 19, 2011 at 5:42 AM , Blogger Posh House Originals said...

Ok... so this is an amazing and simple idea to add some feathers in the hair without going to the salon! love it and of course they look adorable on you! I'll have to make one for my little girl to add some funk:)

 
At July 19, 2011 at 6:00 AM , Blogger Kelli said...

I love it! I think I'll give it a try!

Kelli @ loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

 
At July 19, 2011 at 6:57 AM , Blogger Christina said...

Super cute!

 
At July 19, 2011 at 8:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute and awesome! I might try this, but I already know the hubs would laugh his head off if I wear it.

 
At July 19, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Nicole Holguin said...

lOVE THIS! I have been wanting them and now I can get them without the salon price and without them being permanent :)

 
At July 19, 2011 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Amanda Lewis said...

Ashley this is such a great idea! You are seriously so talented! xoxo

 
At July 19, 2011 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Generation wYno said...

SO cuuuuute! I'm addicted to your blog!

 
At July 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Sara K said...

Thank you for sharing your Life List. You've inspired me to create my 100 things to do in life.
P.S. I love your blog!

 
At July 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Anonymous ana {bluebirdkisses} said...

I love feathers!! so pretty :D

 
At July 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM , Blogger M {livinlife941.blogspot.com} said...

Ashley - you are genius!! Such a cute idea!! I have a feather extension, but, I will definitely be making myself one of these! I shared it on my website so my friends can enjoy too! (http://livinlife941.blogspot.com/)

 
At July 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Dana Fox said...

love it! very creative
xo dana
thewonderforest.com

 
At July 19, 2011 at 9:28 PM , Blogger Sheri said...

those are so adorable!!!

 
At July 19, 2011 at 11:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love love love this headband, I can't wait to make my own!!! xo

 
At July 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM , Blogger Libby said...

last night i made my fiance the taquios from the recipe you posted a while back (i crept your blog all day yesterday!). he loved them! i loved them too and i esp loved that they were soo easy to make. i added cheese before i rolled them up and they were gooey and delish!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM , Blogger Daisy Girls Old Blog said...

Love it!! Super cute!! :)

http://daisygirlsartstudio.blogspot.com/

 
At July 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

You are just the best!! I love how you share your creative tips/process and inspiration with other bloggers! Soo appreciated!! I am having a MAJOR slumpy blogger stage and this is exactly what I needed to hear.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Tere y Zita said...

Just lovely!! Itt´s such a great idea and so beautifull!!
I am a spanish designer, I make all type of accesories and refashion clothes... I love all you posts and I am following you from several months ago...
Keep on and very good luck!!
kisses xxx
http://terezitacomplementos.blogspot.com/

 
At July 22, 2011 at 6:32 PM , Blogger Chris said...

I probably just spent way too much time on your blog. I just found it, and I think I'm your newest follower. You are so creative and I love the way you write! Not only do I feel so inspired by the picture you've painted of who you are and what you believe, but i am so glad for all your blog tips, they've really helped me.

 
At July 24, 2011 at 7:35 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

i love this!!! what a cool idea! now i have the perfect gift idea for my girlfriend! :)

 
At July 26, 2011 at 11:36 AM , Anonymous Brianna said...

This is SO genius! I've wanted to jump on the feather extension train, but I've held off because I knew I wouldn't want to have them every day. <3 Love it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home