This Page

has been moved to new address

Now That's Motherhood Again

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Now That's Motherhood Again

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Now That's Motherhood Again

I recently received a very touching email from a LMM reader about the following post I wrote a few months back.  Her words caused me to head into the archives and re-read this post for myself. And today I felt inspired to share it again with each of you.

To all the momma's in our life:
Now That's Motherhood



I know a momma who postponed her bone marrow transplant so she could attend her son's Senior Night at college. This momma knows how important it is to "be there" for her children. Four kids and thousands of games, meets, recitals, and ceremonies later--this momma's kids know that there is no where she would rather be, than with them, in sickness and in health.

Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma who has never carried a child of her own and has no one who call's her Mom, yet she is like a momma to many. Many lucky kids have been influenced by her example, have been cheered on by her whistles on the sidelines, have been embraced in her loving arms, have been blessed to have her in their lives. Nearly all of us have that one person in our lives that we consider to be "like a mother to us"--and for so many, she is that momma.

Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma who is blessed to be very financially secure. And while it would be easy and affordable for her to delegate many of her mommy-duties to others, she doesn't. Her kids put away their own laundry and say please and thank you. Her kids no the meaning of hard work. Her kids spend time with her daily and smile as she cheers them on at every event in their life. Her kids know how much they are loved and that everything their mom does is to make their life better.


Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma who is so sick, she can hardly function during her pregnancies. It is an effort for her to get out of bed in the morning. But she has endured this agony 6 times, because nothing fulfills her more than comforting her kiddos after a tough day at school, than encouraging her children through life's disappointments, than cheering for her kids as they score the game winning goal, than placing that school project up on the fridge, than hugging her kids goodbye as they head off to college and then onto their missions...she endures all things because nothing fulfills her more than being a part of the progression of each of her children.

Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma who has been told she cannot bear a child naturally. She has taught me that motherhood is more than bearing children, it is the very nature of who we are as women. Trust me, motherhood is at her very core--and she is one of the best and most natural mommas I know.

Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma who has not had a full night's sleep in over 25 years. This momma spends her nights {and her days} nursing and caring for infants born with addictions. She welcomes these babies and their special needs into her home with an open heart, and provides them with the nurturing care and compassion they deserve.

Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma who rescued her daughter from an orphanage, brought her into a happy and healthy home and has raised her into a beautiful young woman. She is a mother, a best friend, a confidant, a supporter and an example to her daughter.

Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma who makes every holiday an occasion to look forward to in their home. Red, white and blue pancakes for breakfast on the 4th of July, a green leprechaun picnic on St. Patrick's day, homemade Valentines cards, giant pumpkin carving and pumkin soup to begin the count down to Thanksgiving--this momma never slacks off on creating the ultimate childhood memories for her children.

Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma who is raising three children from her husbands previous marriage as if they are her very own.  When people ask if she has kids, she doesn't skip a beat when she answers, "yes, 3 adorable boys"--and I love her for that.  She cuddles with them, she kisses their scrapes and bruises, she worries about them, she nurtures them and she loves them as much as a momma possibly could.

Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma whose husband spent over 5 years very busy serving others in his community and in his church when their four children were young. This momma sacrificed time with her husband for the good of hundreds of people. Imagine this amazing momma juggling 4 kiddos under the age of 12 in a church meeting--by herself. She did this while also working and playing an important role serving others in her church--and she never complained.

Now that's Motherhood

I know a momma whose daughter is all grown up with a baby of her own now. Yet this momma still talks to her daughter on the phone every day, still plays with her hair while they watch a favorite movie on the couch, still rubs her head when she is feeling sick and still encourages her through every step of life.

Now that's Motherhood

**Feel free to leave a comment telling me about a momma you know**


Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At August 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM , Blogger A Beautiful Life said...

i think i needed to hear this today, sometimes in the hussle and bussle of everyday life we get sidetracked as to why it's all worth it.
I know a momma that juggles 4 kids under the age of 8, while her husband fights for our country. Who supports his military career to the enth degree, even when that means he deploys at least 4x a year, about 60 days at a time. I know a momma that is stronger than she ever thought she would be and is the backbone of her children and her husband. I know a momma that is blessed to have sweet children and to read blogs that remind her how great being a mother is...

 
At August 24, 2010 at 4:30 PM , Blogger ashley @ little miss momma said...

WOW, you just gave me the chills! thank you for sharing!

 
At August 24, 2010 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Crazy Wonderful said...

Thank you for this! Sometimes you have days where you feel like you can't do anything right as a Mommy. Reading this helps me take a deep breath, be thankful for all of our family's blessings, and remember the bigger picture.

 
At August 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM , Blogger stephaniegiese said...

Thanks so much. This post is just absolutely inspired. Definitely needed something like this today!

 
At August 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM , Blogger tnrosales said...

I love how your blog encompasses everything about babies, crafts, recipes, but most importantly, I love that you can share personal thoughts and reflections for everyone to read. It inspires me to write more from the heart. Also, this specific post reminded me of how wonderful my mother was to me. She gave me the best birthday parties on a budget-I had no idea we weren't wealthy. She stayed up all night to finish sewing my Halloween and school play costumes-they always turned out fabulous. She came to my high school graduation in the midst of being horribly sick with cancer and she used her last breath to say "I love you". My momma is perfect and pain-free now and I hope when I have children, I can be everything she was to me. Your blog helps remind me of what a great mother is. Thank you <3

 
At August 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM , Blogger MommyB said...

I know a Momma who had a scary childhood in everyway. When she turned 14 she was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and moved to Seattle to the UW to get an experimental treatment of radiation therapy. Fast forward to present day she is the momma of 5 crazy kids. When her gyno removed her uterus he said that it was a miracle she ever had kids, her uterus was a complete mass of scar tissue. When he removed it, it was a hard mass and had no elasticity to it (no room for kids) She was destined to come to this earth and be a better Mom than she had and to defy the odds. Some Moms are super in silent ways this Momma, she is one of those.

 
At August 24, 2010 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Sarah@AlpinePoppy said...

That was a beautiful post, thank you for sharing it! You made my heart smile!

 
At August 24, 2010 at 11:24 PM , Blogger ashley @ little miss momma said...

I am so touched by all of these Momma's! Keep em Coming!

 
At August 25, 2010 at 3:47 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

Thank you for sharing! I hope you don't mind that I shared it on my blog. Of course, I gave you credit and linked to you, but not sure if I did it right. (I'm a blogger newbie.) I love that there are so many wonderful Mom's out there. And so many Dad's that step up to the plate too.

 
At August 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM , Blogger Kari said...

I'm not even kidding, this post made me teary-eyed. Ashley, are an AMAZING mother. I can't wait till I can check off #1 and #23 from my list on my sidebar! :)

 
At September 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM , Blogger Erinn said...

wow! thanks so much for this post... i'm usually not one to comment on "strangers" blogs, but your whole blog just speaks to me!! i love this post especially... made me tear up. so thanks... i can't imagine all the hard work that goes into a blog like yours! i can't wait to try one of your headband tutorials, how fun!!

 
At April 6, 2011 at 1:52 AM , Blogger Erna said...

It's been a year since you posted this, but it inspired me to write something.

I know a single mamma that never spoke badly off her baby's daddy even though he left her 5 months pregnant, she said, how can I hate someone that gives me the most perfect gift? That mamma did everything on budget so she could take great holidays with her daughter such as: strawberry farms in Sweden, DeadSea in Israel, with monkeys on her head in Thailand and hugging Mickey at DisneyWorld (where they went every two years). That mamma would rather spend time building a barbie house under the coffee table than go out for drinks with her friends.
That mamma supports her daughter no matter what and is there for her, rain or shine.
That mamma loves that her daughter is following her dreams on the other side of the planet. Especially when she is able to visit far-away places she's always dreamt of seeing but never did because she was too busy making individual mini pizzas for her daughter's birthdays..

That mamma is my mamma and I hope, one day, to hold a fracture of her strength, beauty and wisdom.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home