This Page

has been moved to new address

Cutlery Vinyl Wall Art TUTORIAL {Dezign With a Z decal review}

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Cutlery Vinyl Wall Art TUTORIAL {Dezign With a Z decal review}

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Cutlery Vinyl Wall Art TUTORIAL {Dezign With a Z decal review}


Cutlery Vinyl Wall Art Tutorial
{using a rad decal from Dezign With a Z}

It's no secret that I kinda have a "thing" for vinyl projects.
So when Dezign With a Z contacted me about reviewing one of their projects, the wheels began to turn in the crafty section of my brain.

I headed over to the shop, and before I knew it I had been browsing for over an hour trying to narrow down my favorites from dozens and dozens of really awesome designs.

Dezign With a Z wall decals and wall stickers

But, I had this picture in my mind of a project I wanted to complete for my eating area, and when I stumbled across this decal I knew it would be perfect:



Once I painted and applied the decal, I distressed the wood to give it the "look" I wanted. You can find this fun cutlery decal here.

Here is a step by step tutorial for my
Vinyl Cutlery Wall Art


Supplies:
Cutlery Vinyl 11 x 20 inches
Wood approx: 24 x 13 x 1 inches
White acrylic paint
Black acrylic paint
sand paper
paint brush

First, paint your entire top side and edges white. I didn't paint the backside.


Let is dry.


Now paint the edges one coat of black. Let it dry. Don't worry about painting the edges neatly--no one will see them anyway.


Once the black paint is dry, repaint the entire board white, so that the black edges are no longer visible.
Once again, I didn't worry to much about how neatly I painted, because I was going for a more distressed look.


NOTE: Be sure to let the paint dry completely or else the vinyl will remove the paint {and won't stick} when you try to apply it--I may or may not have learned this from personal experience.

Now remove the backing from your vinyl decal.


Carefully follow the instructions included in your order and place the vinyl centered on the wooden board.


Use a credit card to rub the vinyl onto the board.
Then very slowly and carefully lift the adhesive from the board.  If any of the vinyl starts to come up as you are lifting, just put the adhesive back down and use your credit card to rub it back in place.


And here is the "pre-distressed" board.


Now take the sand paper and distress the edges of the board to your hearts content.



I even sanded on the face of the board to smooth out some of the uneven paint.

And that's all there is to it--really simple, right?!



Dezign With a Z has a smorgasbord of fabulous designs your must check out.
Some of my favorites are:


I think this London phone booth is incredible!
How great would that look on a wooden board!



My lap top wants this.


These clouds are perfect for Baby W's room.  
And I think this chalkboard decal is so great--especially when teaching your little ones to write.
So a big thank you to Dezign With a Z, for feeding my vinyl addiction, with one of my new favorite decals of all time!

You can visit Dezign With a Z on facebook for the latest and greatest deals by clicking here.

**I will be linking this project up to these fabulous link parties.**
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And don't forget to enter the latest LMM giveaway for a FREE Silhouette craft cutter!!!
Over $300 value!




Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

At December 26, 2010 at 11:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! I'm going to have to check it out!

 
At December 27, 2010 at 7:24 AM , Blogger The Painted Cottage said...

That is TOO cute!

 
At December 27, 2010 at 7:38 AM , Blogger Kathie said...

I follow Little Miss Momma. :)

 
At December 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM , Blogger {northern cottage} said...

I'm loving the cutlery! What a great graphic image to cook and eat by! Yum

www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

 
At December 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

My kitchen could use some kitchen-esque art! so flipping cute!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

 
At December 28, 2010 at 6:47 AM , Blogger Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

I love vinyl and I love your project! so simple that it's amazingly beautiful :D

I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

Now to head over to your giveaway!

 
At December 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM , Blogger Debbie said...

I love that! You are so clever.

 
At December 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I really love this! It's so simple & easy. btw: just found ur blog thru A cup of jenn. Glad I did. I followed! if you get the chance pass by my blog and say hi.

-Reyna
www.glamglory.blogspot.com

 
At December 28, 2010 at 11:38 AM , Blogger TLF said...

This is adorable!!

 
At December 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Cute craft! I love the wall art you did! Pretty neat!

Have A Romantic Day & Check Me Out,
~Romantic Savy

 
At December 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM , Blogger Kari said...

Very cool...XOXO

 
At December 29, 2010 at 8:46 AM , Anonymous Cori said...

What a handsome little guy! Congratulations to you guys on 18 adorable months.

 
At December 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM , Anonymous Paper Trail Gallery said...

Loving the images on the board! I recently cut out silhouettes of a ballerina and another of a boy playing a trumpet. I sealed them onto boards and distressed them as well. Loved how they turn out! I used colored paint with mine but I love the crisp black/white look of yours. Thanks for sharing!

 
At December 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM , Blogger linsey grae said...

precious :) how sweet of a mom you are! oh, and my favorite picture is him riding the bike backwards! adorable!

 
At December 29, 2010 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Sweet European Dreams said...

love the simplicity of it - very fun! and, I always appreciate a good tutorial - thanks! -diane

 
At December 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would make shirts for my 3 little munchkins!!! By the way, I would give my left arm for this!!!! (I need my right one for all the fun projects!)

 
At December 30, 2010 at 5:20 AM , Blogger Life, Crafts and Whatever said...

This is adorable! I'm going to have to keep them in mind, I'm always looking for new stuff for my kitchen. I'm new the blogging world, I just signed up to follow you, I'd love if you'd check mine out.

http://lifecraftsandwhatever.blogspot.com/

 
At December 30, 2010 at 7:14 AM , Anonymous Miranda said...

That turned out super-cute!

Miranda
www.justdrinkacoke.blogspot.com

 
At December 30, 2010 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Life as I know it.. said...

lOVE THIS!

Here's a question for you or anyone reading for tha matter..
I love this but was going to try to switch it up a little..

Do they have vinal letters?
Something so I can make my own fancy sign for my home? I was at the craft store and they only had HUGE BLOCK ones. Something cutesy?? I am looking to start out with a "happy valentines day" sign (wouldnt this be cute? but instead of painting with the black use red so it shines underneath?) and then go on to a "welcome" one.
Please Help.

-Craft Challenged Tiffany
http://tiffanymcginley.blogspot.com/

 
At December 30, 2010 at 9:17 AM , Blogger ashley @ little miss momma said...

hi Tiffany,

On the Dezign With a Z website {which is where I ordered my vinyl}, there is a link where you can create custom vinyl lettering and spell out whatever you want.
Here is the link: http://www.dezignwithaz.com/custom-lettering/lettering/custom-quotes-wording-alphabet-wall-decals-p-1384.html
I hope this helps. I think the V-Day sign idea will be adorabel!!!!

xoxo,
ashley

 
At December 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM , Anonymous Life as a working mom said...

I really would love to get a vinyl lettering machine. I am in the process of putting all my subway art together and sell on my website. www.deesdailynews.com

 
At January 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I really want one of these to remind myself of how to set a place setting! HA! Come on over and link up to MMM

 
At January 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love this :) I am going to feature you next Monday! Thank you for linking up to MMM!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home