This Page

has been moved to new address

My Typical Day

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: My Typical Day

Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Typical Day

Just Another Day


Some have wondered what my typical day looks like.
When I find the time to blog,
how I keep Baby W busy,
when {or rather, if} I exercise.

So I have put together an outline of my day.
It's super glamorous, let me tell ya.
No really, please don't expect much.
And yes, I completely realize that many of my parenting methods are not
by.the.book.
Namely, Baby W's sleep habits and his bottle dependency.
But if there's anything I have learned as a parent,
it's that sometimes you just have to do what works
so you can stay sane for the moments that require your patience the most
{for example, let's say your toddler were to throw your iPhone in the toilet}.

So here is me, in a typical day, just trying to make it all work:

1:00 am
Baby W begins to whimper. Whimper turns into shrieking. Shrieking turns into stumbling out of bed to find his Momma. I close my lap top, grab my pillow, scoop up Baby W and curl up next to him in his bright red race car bed. Zzzzz.

3:00 am
Baby W sits straight up in bed.
I open one eye just in time to see him crawling over me to get out of bed. DaDa, DaDa. I grab my pillow, pick up Baby W, and then we crawl into bed next to Daddy and absorb all his warmth. Five minutes later Baby W is laying perpendicular between us, fast asleep.

6:45 am
Eyes. Nose. Mouth.
I wake up to Baby W aggressively poking at all my facial features and saying their names aloud. Daddy grabs his phone and plays scenes from Toy Story while we all lay cuddled together wishing our eye lids didn't feel like a million pounds.

7:00 am to 8:00 am
This is Mommy and Baby W cuddle time. We meander out to the living room, grab extra blankets turn on Sesame Street and I rest my eyes while Baby W lays in my lap and giggles at Elmo's jokes. I use my phone to read the majority of my fabulous blog comments while we cuddle.

8:00 am to 9:00 am
Baby W rejects his breakfast. He takes his daily 8:15 poo. Bath time. Then I wrestle clothes onto his squirmy body and leave him to play with his toys while I throw on an outfit and remove the leftover mascara from under my eyes.

9:00 am to 11:30 am
This is Baby W's most alert part of the day so during this time I usually try to run my errands, schedule play dates, go to the market, post office, Costco and so on. I pick up the toys and clean up the breakfast dishes before we head out the door. Baby W doesn't make errand running easy. By the time we are finished, Baby W is only wearing one shoe, I have sweat dripping down the middle of my back and mashed gold fish in the wispy front parts of my hair.

11:30 am to 12:30 am
Lunch time. Sometimes we meet up with the hubs, sometimes we eat Happy Meals and sometimes we just chill at home and enjoy Easy Mac. We also watch a lot of Toy Story during this time. When lunch is over we go on a drive or a walk around the block until Baby W falls asleep.

12:30 to 2:30
Nap time, ahhhh, nap time---oh, how I love thee.


As soon as Baby W's head hits the pillow, I turn into a cleaning tornado. For 30 minutes I pick up all the toys, finish the dishes, make our bed, fluff the pillows, vacuum, mop, blah blah--yeah, I'm fast. Then I spend a few minutes going over a "to do" list for the rest of the day. I head out into my garage work space and design new product and fill my Etsy orders. Then I open up my laptop and do my best to knock out a few emails and make a facebook/twitter update or two. VERY rarely do I ever write a post during the day--my mind and body are usually moving to fast to focus. This is also the perfect time of day to take any product review, tutorial, or fashion pictures for a post. 

3:00 pm to 5:00 pm
I take Baby W on a 45 minute walk, at which time I also schedule any business phone calls I need to make. The best {most quiet} time to talk "work" is when I am pushing Baby W in the stroller. We get home, have a snack then do flash cards, stack blocks and read books. Well actually, I attempt to read books, but Baby W frantically flips through the pages before I even have a chance to read a single sentence aloud--but we try every day anyway.

5:00 pm to 5:30 pm
The hubby gets home and there are lots of kisses and snuggles and tickles. And then he says hi to Baby W. Hehe, just kidding--Baby W always gets the first kisses {lucky duck}. Because I am a terrible homemaker, we spend the next 20 minutes debating about what we should do for dinner. PB&J, Taco Bell, Sandwiches and Soup, CPK...We usually can't make up our minds before Baby W is jumping out of his skin to go on an Adventure Walk.

5:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Baby W is in charge. Where he goes, I will follow. We head out the front door and he leads the way on our evening adventure. We collect rocks, pick flowers, throw dirt in the air and go up the slide the wrong way.


6:30 pm
What are we having for dinner?
I still don't know--ugh!
Me: Babe, will you just pick up Taco Bell?
Me: Never mind, I want Jack in the Box tacos...
Hub: Sure hun.
Me: Grab extra hot sauce--and maybe an Oreo Shake, ya know, if you're in the mood for one then maybe I'll just have some of yours. *wink*
The hubs returns with two milk shakes.

7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Bath time again.
Baby W dinner.
Clean up toys.
Read more books.
Stack more blocks.
And a bunch of other things we have already done 1,000 times today.


8:30 pm to about Midnight
Wind down time.
Baby W cuddles on the couch with Daddy and a bottle.
Often I take a bath.
I like baths.


Baby W won't fall completely asleep until about 9:30.
The hubs and I cuddle for a bit and then I flip open the lap top and settle down for the evening. I get caught up on some of my favorite blogs, peruse through some new ones and then get to work on a new post.

Sometimes the words fall out of me, especially if I have had an "eventful" day with Baby W. After I write my post, I try to answer at least 25 emails--but I get about 50 a day that require a reply, so I am never caught up. I do my best to not let that stress me out, but of course it does. I hate the thought of anyone taking it personal that I haven't returned an email, so I flag them with great intensions of returning them on a day when I have extra time. So far, my intensions have been greater than my follow through.

And that's really it.
Each day varies slightly, but that's the gist for the most part.
Any questions?
Bored to tears?



Once upon a time exercise was a part of my daily routine,
but since becoming a Momma the only exercise I get involves chasing a toddler.

Labels: ,

56 Comments:

At May 19, 2011 at 1:08 AM , Blogger Melissa @ knit purl baby said...

That's so funny that you posted this! I was seriously about to just leave you a comment asking about what your daily routine is like. As a new stay at home momma, I am curious just how other mommas "do it all". Thanks for sharing!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 1:14 AM , Blogger Free Pretty Things For You said...

you are one of my Hero's Ash..ONE OF MY HERO'S!

my poor Ariel watches TV all day lol
i know ... it sad.

 
At May 19, 2011 at 1:49 AM , Blogger K. Dill said...

Amazing daily diary Ashley. You have so much energy and accomplish a lot in a day. Kudos to you!

P/S: I totally love the last photo of you and Baby W! So cute!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 3:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great post Ashley! Isn't it nice to know other moms are up in the middle of the night and watching the same shows over and over...and TRYING to read books to avid page turners?? LOL

Have a great day!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 4:07 AM , Blogger No Model Lady said...

I am tired from reading this. The boys are in school now, which frees up my entire day!! But of course, now I'm forced to exercise again:/

 
At May 19, 2011 at 4:18 AM , Blogger amber lynn said...

I hope that one day when I have a little one I can have planned out days like this! you are pretty much supermom!!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 5:19 AM , Blogger Chrissy @ the Pearl Blog said...

thanks for sharing Ash! Love this post. It seems like when they are toddlers they kind of run the show!
Just so you know it gets easier! I have a 10 yr old, 5 yr old and 2 yr old! and it's getting easier! keep up the great work!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 5:23 AM , Blogger MeganK said...

Love this post! You are a supermom! Baby W is very lucky to have such a great Mama!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 5:30 AM , Blogger Randomlicious Memoirs said...

I totally am like can yo pick up taco bell! So easy!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 5:44 AM , Blogger kaley said...

love :)
reminds me of a 'typical' day that i'm home with my son - which for now, is few and far between! one day i'll be a SAHM and this will totally be my daily routine!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 5:50 AM , Blogger LittleGreenThread said...

I love the last photo of you & your little guy! I totally agree that you just have to do what works for you as a family, even if it's not the "conventional" way of parenting. There are so many (SO many) things I said I would never do and do, but that's all of us I guess. Just learning as we go, and hoping we don't ruin our kids for life in the process :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 5:53 AM , Blogger saldalilover said...

Where did u get that yellow cardi in the last pic? So cute!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 6:09 AM , Blogger Lindsay said...

I don't know how you do it...I see parallels in your day although I believe you are sleep deprived. HOW DO YOU DO IT? Your a rockstar!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 6:47 AM , Blogger pakosta said...

busy busy busy!
it's hard the life of a momma!!!
at least you get out for walks,that's something! and he seems like a happy boy!!!
you do what I used to do with mine, musical beds and it left me sleep deprived for over 8 years, so I hope you get some rest and get that figured out soon because it's taken me until recently to actually SLEEP through the night and mine are now 9 and 11 UGH!!!!! good luck!
tara

 
At May 19, 2011 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

I literally just spit out my coffee when I was reading the part about what is for dinner - I can not count how many times that conversation has happened in our house - love it!

From here you got it all together! Keep on doing!

http://hotmessmoma.blogspot.com/

 
At May 19, 2011 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Tara said...

You sound like one busy momma. The job of a stay-at-home mommmy is never done! Good luck when or if you have any more :) I know from experience that it only gets better when you add to the chaos :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 7:22 AM , Blogger Brandi @ Peace Love andTwinkies said...

you get in two baths a day on the little guy! im impressed! i have twin girls and we struggle but they are also 5 months so its not really playing its just getting our suds on. i love the adventure walks! great idea! if my girls are anything like me our adventure walks will be at target and the mall to look at shoes LOL

 
At May 19, 2011 at 7:23 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me!

My husband and I are debating me being a stay-at-home mom once he opens his own practice (he's a chiropractor). We both have our own opinions. MINE: I want to be there for my children, to watch them grow, to be able to keep up with things without having to cram it into 3 hours every night after I get home. I want to spend every waking moment with my daughter (and #2 due in October) and to teach them and go on adventure-walks. HIS: I don't want you to be a "trophy-wife" and stay at home all day relaxing while I have the pressure of having to earn enough income to have us live the life we want to live.

We'll see what comes of it, but your day sounds like heaven to me so enjoy it :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 7:27 AM , Blogger B:Mod Designs said...

too funny! you know you sound just like me...it's not easy being home with a little one everyday! it's nice to know you are not alone and there are other moms who go through the same type of day : )

 
At May 19, 2011 at 7:28 AM , Blogger KrazyEverlastin'RealSupahDivaMama said...

I enjoyed reading this : )

 
At May 19, 2011 at 7:36 AM , Blogger Brittany@Love Stitched said...

sounds like the perfect life to me! Crazy, tiring, unpredictable at times, but it's YOUR life and your doing it YOUR way with your beautiful family! xoxo

 
At May 19, 2011 at 7:36 AM , Blogger Krista said...

I think chasing around an adorable toddler IS exercise! Especially if Baby W is as busy as mine is.

 
At May 19, 2011 at 7:46 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

I love that you did this. I love all your post and am horrible at commenting. I comment in my head and think later, " did I tell her/them that in a comment??" So I apologize because I am a frequent reader of your blog and I should comment more, especially because I think we have a lot in common :). I think that I should get myself and my other blogger mommies to do a post like this because It's so comforting to know that we all have our different struggles with our toddlers and no one is perfect! With my 2 year old, nap time is fine but bed time is a disaster. I feel comforted reading your daily routine because it lets me know that like me, you are focused on your toddler being happy and healthy instead of a super tidy home and self appearance. *(although you are very lucky you are gorgeous with the little to no time you are alloted to get ready!)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Justcallmeblessed said...

Oh how I remember the days! My girls are older now so I dont have to do so much chasing. Things dont ever get easier, just hard in a different way. It seems like you are doing a wonderful job! Your family is so adorable! Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed reading it!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Kelli said...

Thanks for sharing, It is nice to know that there are other mom's out there who have a crazy life like mine!

Kelli @ loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

 
At May 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM , Blogger ashley said...

love

 
At May 19, 2011 at 8:29 AM , Blogger nicole. said...

once upon a time exercise was allowed in my daily life too - i do however count CHASING an overactive {yep i have one too} toddler around exercise. after all, if were sweating at costco - we've worked out, right?

bottle dependency... I CANT TELL YOU HOW HAPPY I AM TO HEAR SOMEONE ELSE HAS THIS ISSUE.

I just cant get rid of it. Ive tried. Lots.

 
At May 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Blogger TLF said...

Enjoy every bit of being a stay at home mom as you can.
Some of us do not have that privilege.

:):):)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

I am LOVING that Baby W does not sleep through the night, or in his own bed either. Oh I thought we were the only ones that caved and let him sleep with us. I feel ashamed, but like you said wisely, it is what it is for now and we will save our battles for bigger issues! Thanks for reminding me of what amazing "normalness" is! :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM , Blogger tessie said...

I remember those days so clearly...when they are over you wonder how you ever did it all! I guess the answer is pure love! ~I wanted to give you a follow-up-I had asked where you had bought your comforter(Target), for my daughter loved it. Well, she now has the set on her bed and is very happy. Thanks for taking the time to give us the information!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Jessica from Daisydotdesign.blogspot.com said...

You are one busy momma, and I admire how little time in front of the TV you do. My little girl is about the same age as baby W, but our weather here in Idaho has not been overly conducive to going outside so...I've been resorting to other things in the house, thank heavens for inherited toys in the unfinished basement (which is where my vinyl cutter is) and movies..I hate to admit it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't always have a dinner idea when my hubby gets home, but it's been something I've been working on this year, so it's been a little bit better. I need to remember to do some recipes on my blog for those last minute dinner ideas that come together quick!! Maybe you'd like to take a look sometime!!

Way to take advantage of the small moments that will be treasures with W!!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Susan said...

what a day you have! lots of fun though! Also... where in the heck did you get your yellow clock? I have been on the hunt for one. Just converting my living room to yellows and blues (thanks for inspiration!)

Love your blog!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Anto Gillies said...

I LOVE that your day sounds so much like mine!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM , Anonymous Tiffany said...

Sounds like the typical day of a mommy! ;) So funny. Love that you posted this!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Erica @ Acire Adventures said...

Wow! I don't know how you can get by with such little sleep! I feel like I missed out on sleep when my little guy interrupts our sleep at all between 11:00 pm & 7:00 am!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Ashley said...

You are amazing, momma. Such a fun day!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Hattie said...

Sounds like a fantastic day to me!!! Never boring!!!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

love hearing about your day!

ps- i love your table!! is it the one from World Market? I've been eyeing that one....

 
At May 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM , Blogger ahappygirl said...

As mommas I truly believe in encouraging each other. You are AMAZING beyond all reason lady! I'm feeling very overwhelmed lately and like such a failure because I don't have the energy to do it all!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM , Blogger Marina said...

I never comment on blogs that I read occassional (aka stalk) like yours but, I must say - this makes me feel MUCH better about our routine! I have a little boy how who is more than a handful and is classified (by me) as 'difficult' like you have stated in the past. None of his friends are like this, so it makes me happy (sorry!) that someone else 'reads' to their child while they run around, flip through the pages, ect. And that its ok to have Mac n' cheese sometimes (everyday...ha! Thanks. :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs said...

ahh the fabulous life of a momma! :) That is a pretty crazy schedule, but you seem to do it well. Its good you dont try to do it by the book and understand sometimes its best to just do what works. lol so many women worry about doing it "right" that they hardly just enjoy the special time with their kids/family. I can tell you are a good momma, a loving momma and wife, and you are happy. And thats what matters most. :)

 
At May 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

You are an awesome momma! I don't know how you keep going all day like you do on such little, interrupted sleep. Keep up the great work!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Tara @ Beautiful Blendings said...

I am a FULL TIME nanny and I feel like my day is basically the same but times 2. I have a two year old and a one year old and although they are the CUTEST girls; some days I feel like I am just struggling to make it to that moment where I am in my bed, with my laptop and able to breath again.
I give you lots of credit for also having those early morning hours! My day starts around 7am with the girls and ends around 6pm but I'm still wiped.
KIDS ARE HARD. I think that's why they are SO CUTE. Because otherwise we may not survive. ;)
And for me, it's really hard to know that I'm making the right decisions for them that their parents will also agree with. And to love them enough; but try not to love them TOO much. This is a hard concept for most to understand but I promise it's an art. And it's easy for me to get TOO attached.
Anyways--love the post. It can be lonely being with just a little all day but makes me happy to know there are others out there who LIVE for naptime, watch the silly TV shows, eat Mac and Tacos and just try and BE!
xo.

 
At May 19, 2011 at 3:25 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

sounds like my crazy life chasing the 2.5 year old...due with 2nd in Oct. so been extra tired lately..I love that you do adventure walks...I love that you can clean fast enough in 30 mins. Im so bad at being tidy..
It seems like you go to bed late and get very little sleep, I honestly don't know how you do it, what is your secret? lots of caffeine!!!?

 
At May 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

WOW, what a busy busy day! (Your house is beautiful)


giveaway!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 6:39 PM , Blogger mstalcup said...

Exactly how many hours of sleep do you get? I'm amazed you have any energy with the little sleep you get.

I'm one of those people that MUST get my sleep!

 
At May 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Anonymous MelissaMae said...

thank you for being so candid. I also work from home around a toddler's schedule and mostly late at night. The best part of my day is when we snuggle and watch a morning show!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Katy said...

Hah love that you told your husband that you'll just have some of his. This sounds a lot like me.

 
At May 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

ashely - this post was so cute and you are such an awesome momma:) i babysit for 5 kiddos and the youngest is 2 1/2 and your adventure walk idea has inspired me to do the same thing! thankyou!

 
At May 21, 2011 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

Oh my goodness you had me laughing - I have a toddler too and ya I can relate :) Thanks for making me smile!

 
At May 21, 2011 at 6:09 PM , Blogger A Babbling Brunette said...

I LOVE this post!! I love that you let us know what you do each day. I have always wanted to be a SAHM but l just know I'd go crazy being home all day. Sounds like you have the hang of it and do it wonderfully!

I also love that Baby W has the same sleeping habits as my toddler. Makes me feel like I'm not alone!! Madi usually doesn't go to sleep until 9 or 9:30 and on the nights she does go to sleep in her bed she ALWAYS wakes up in the middle of the night and I put her right into our bed where she falls asleep perpendicular to us too!!! Isn't it grand?

Love your blog!! :)

 
At May 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Kristy said...

I knew there was a reason why I LOVE you and your blog so much! You just described my life down to the racecar bed! I have a 5 year old boy (with a racecar bed) and a 2 and half year old girl (with a Toy Story addiction), both home with me all day, everyday, while daddy is working. My 2 and half year old STILL requires a bottle to go to sleep, too (even though I was that mom that swore "my child will never do that"). She also wants nothing to do with anything that has to do with sleeping or even lying down, for that matter! I cherish my moments of quiet time at 1am, when I catch up on my fav blogs or snuggle on the sofa with a great book and a blanket! Keep up the good work momma!

xoxo,
Kristy

 
At May 24, 2011 at 1:48 PM , Blogger M.O.T.B said...

Exercise? Huh? What exercise?:)

 
At May 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM , Anonymous christina (electivethinking@gmail.com) said...

taco bell? cpk? easy mac? happy meals? my goodness. have you considered spending less time blogging and crafting, and more time cooking your family real meals?

 
At May 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Once I got to the dinner part, I knew I had found a kindred spirit. I first of all can never make a decision on what to eat, and when I finally do I make my boyfriend get dessert so I can "share". :)

 
At June 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM , Blogger Flor said...

Oh I'm so glad to hear that there are others that go to sleep late as I do.. my friends think I am crazy I have to cram as much as Im able to in those late night hours.
Thank you for your honest post - your just keepin' it real and we appreciate that! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home