This Page

has been moved to new address

How To Make A Jewel Bib Necklace

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: How To Make A Jewel Bib Necklace

Monday, May 2, 2011

How To Make A Jewel Bib Necklace

How to Make a Jewel Bib Necklace
(with a free template download}

I've seen these bib necklaces everywhere. J Crew, Anthropologie, Nordstroms.
And I have been meaning to make one of my very own for nearly a year now.
Well, I finally did it.
And let me tell you, it's easy as pie.
Let's make one together, mmkay.


Materials:
  • Download your FREE necklace template HERE.
  • One square foot of black felt
  • Package of gems: I purchased the 1 lb. package from Michael's and I used my 40% OFF coupon. You will only end up using about 2 ounces of gems for one necklace.
  • Fabric scissors
  • Pins
  • Glue gun and hot glue
  • 3 feet of ribbon

First, download your FREE template here.
Carefully cut it out and then pin it to the center of your felt.
Use the pattern to cut out the felt in the shape of your bib necklace.

Set aside the felt scraps for later on.





Now, place your gems in the desired layout on your felt backing.
This may be tricky, so take your time until it looks just right.
I made mine symmetrical.




Once you have your layout, begin to glue down each gem--one by one.
I started from the edges and then worked my way in.


Once you have glued all the gems into place, flip over your felt and get ready to add the ribbon.  Keep the ribbon in one long single strand. Apply a dime size drop of glue to the top of the felt backing. Glue the ribbon about 1.5 inches down.  Repeat the step with the other side of the ribbon.



Now, take your set aside felt scraps and cut two 1.5 inch squares.




Apply another dime size drop of glue on top of the ribbon, and put the square felt on top.  This will hide the ribbon backing and give it a clean look.



Find the center of your ribbon and make your cut.



Then tie a bow. I kept the ribbon extra long {3 feet} so that I could have a larger bow. And that's it!




I am excited to use the template to make some other bib necklaces.
Maybe a pom pom one, a button one, or a lace embellished one.

If you use this template for a necklace, I would love to see how your project turns out! Come back and leave a link in the comments.

Happy Crafting!

I will be linking up to some of these fun parties!

************************************************

Getting votes makes me smile.
All you have to do is click the link.
{you can click every day, if you want}

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

What if I got to be #1 for a day?
I think that might be pure awesome.

***********************************************

Also, we will take a break from I SPY this week.
I have something else planned for us *wink*.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At May 2, 2011 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

LOVE how easy this is! Thanks for sharing!! (and Im voting for you)

PS- I sent you an email about sending you a product of mine to review and a possible giveaway on LMM. Let me know if you are interested :)

Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

 
At May 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

What a beautiful end product!! I love how you include TONS of pics in your tutorials..makes learning so much easier :)

Delighted Momma

 
At May 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM , Blogger Mariel@ www.sexymodeststyle.com said...

how darling is this! I love it!

 
At May 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Cindy @ Cinsarah said...

I was just thinking about making one of these!! now I know how easy it is!! thanks for the tutorial! :)

 
At May 3, 2011 at 5:22 AM , Blogger Lindsay said...

I've been wanting to make one of these! Thanks for the tips girly! :) I think I actually like this BETTER than anthro :)

 
At May 3, 2011 at 5:39 AM , Blogger colorchic said...

What a great project! I'll have a link up tomorrow for a giveaway... I hope you share!

 
At May 3, 2011 at 6:26 AM , Blogger Cheeky D said...

Super cute and easy. Heres a tip too incase you don't know. If you take a lighter to the end of your ribbon it won't fray. I found this tip due to my obsession with baby girl hair bows I make for my girl!

 
At May 3, 2011 at 6:39 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

Fun Bling! You've been awarded! Visit: http://themurphys678.blogspot.com/2011/05/and-winner-is.html

 
At May 3, 2011 at 9:29 AM , Blogger {Trulie Scrumptious} said...

oooo we Love it!! We'd love to have you over to our blog for {tute-sweet tuesday} e-mail us at truliescrumptious@gmail.com if you're interested... and we're most definitely voting for you and all your cuteness..

 
At May 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Taylor said...

After discovering so many DIY, I never look at jewelry the same! I always think to myself, "I could make that!" I'm so glad you put so many pictures too, I can't wait to make this :D And maybe sometime in the future you could feature this necklace in one of your, What I Wore Today - OR with multiple outfits, because I love this necklace (always have) but never know how I would wear it! Thanks Ashley, you're an inspiration!

 
At May 3, 2011 at 11:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made one of the Necklaces today I made my own template but here is a link to it :) Loved the tutorial:) Please stop in and check out my blog @http://thesparrowsend.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.205045279535731.52472.168378313202428

 
At May 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

I love this post! I may just have to make one of these!

I heard about you from the lovely Jessica Wilcox of Modern Moments and I'm so glad I did! Your blog is great!

 
At May 4, 2011 at 2:41 PM , Anonymous Emily said...

I love your blog! This is a great craft- and perfect for those of us who are allergic to "more affordable" jewlery!

 
At May 4, 2011 at 9:11 PM , Blogger Claire said...

this is fabulous! i can't even wait to make one of these. thank you THANK YOU!

spinning-threads.blogspot.com

 
At May 5, 2011 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Heather Mullin said...

I love it and especially love that you don't have to sew! The possibilities are endless! LOVE IT!

 
At May 15, 2011 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Ashley Romney said...

I made one and LOVE it! I posted it on my blog and my post was all about you today! You can look at

http://ashleymariefrederickson.blogspot.com

You are amazing and I just can't get enough of your blog!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home