This Page

has been moved to new address

Inevitable Yucky Moments

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Inevitable Yucky Moments

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Inevitable Yucky Moments

There are certain yucky experiences in life that every new momma will be forced to endure throughout her first go around.

First shot. {check}
First fever. {check}
First cough. {check}
First tantrum. {double check}
First sandy poo diaper. {check}
First bug eating.{yes, check}
The list goes on.

Well today, this momma experienced her first spill with Baby W.
And not the kind of spill where his bottle empties onto my freshly cleaned kitchen floor. 

No, I'm talking about the kinda spill where your precious little baby falls flat on his face, cuts open his adorable little lip, hyperventilates from crying so hard and nearly breaks your momma heart into a million little pieces.



Today I was able to check this ultra yucky experience off of that icky list of 'inevitable experiences'.

I always knew this day would arrive, and honestly, at the rate {and speed} my babe crawls, I am surprised such an incident hasn't occurred sooner.  But I was even more surprised by my reaction.

Not even one second after he took his spill, Baby W was already scooped up into my arms as I attempted to calmly assess the damage.

I knew he was in real pain because he was doing his "silent cry". 
The cry where his face looks like he's crying, but no sound is coming out.  The one where his face begins to turn purple and I have to blow on his mouth to remind him to breath.

You know the cry I'm talking about.

Well, I handled the crying just fine.

It wasn't until I saw the blood that I fell apart.

I became completely overwhelmed and fell into one of those black hole momma moments where you feel utterly helpless.  And that feeling of helplessness only magnified the catastrophe at hand.

And, YES, to a new momma, this experience was deemed a catastrophe


Note the extra puffy top lip, the tear tracks on his cheeks and blood on his nose and eye lid.
I'm not sure who was more emotional,
Baby W or his Momma. 

Still dazed and confused.


Lucky for Mommy, Daddy was home and able to put on a brave face for Baby W while Momma got it together in the other room.



So here's to hoping this momma handles the future icky items on the list with a bit more courage--and without getting those black spots in her eyes and losing her balance.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
_________________________________
On a happy note,
I just added a NEW section to the LMM Etsy Shop...

HOME DECOR!!

Here is a sneak peak at what you'll find:



Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At July 31, 2010 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Brittany@Love Stitched said...

oooohhhh poor guy :( I feel so bad for him! and you for having to deal with it :(

 
At July 31, 2010 at 8:46 AM , Blogger luv4jack said...

Poor Baby W! :( I feel his pain....and your mommy pain! Just over a week ago, Jack fell and tripped while trying to pick up a toy. I don't know how in the world he fell and caused so much damage to his little self, but the blood kept coming and coming. Originally, I thought he bit down on his lower lip with his teeth, but I saw no teeth marks. Further inspection, caused me a major meltdown as I looked under his upper lip, which was so swollen his profile had changed, and noticed he had tore the little piece of skin that connects your upper lip and gum. OUCHHHIES! I immediately called the doctors and brought him in. THinking he would need stitches to repair it. The doctor said no, it was torn, there was a blood clot, but at this point in time it serves no purpose. I guess in gestation it forms to guide baby teeth in. THankfully, we've got all those. But boy did I feel terrible! His mouth was swollen for a week. Luckily, he's all better and I have to say despite immediate crying/wailing for 5 mins. he handled it like a trooper. I on the otherhand, need to practice my "Stay Calm and Carry ON" techniques in these future situations. Hope your lil guy (and you!) feel better soon!

 
At July 31, 2010 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At July 31, 2010 at 12:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

The black spots are just your version of the silent cry. You need to breath, too. Not judging here - just a lesson learned.

 
At July 31, 2010 at 3:03 PM , Blogger Erin Wallace said...

Oh! I remember how terrible I felt when this happened to Will! And he got the biggest goose egg on his head that of course every relative commented on, making me feel like I should have Social Services lock me away! So glad those days are over!

xo Erin

 
At July 31, 2010 at 7:05 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Just wait until he starts walking and his top half goes faster than his feet. My little guy took all the skin off the top of his nose a couple of weeks ago falling and added a big goose egg on his forehead. Talk about an emotional mess I was!

 
At August 3, 2010 at 7:46 AM , Blogger Niki said...

My baby (11 months) fell a few weeks ago and cut her eyebrow. I was okay then. I decided the cut was a little deep and took her to the ped just in case. I was okay then too. Then the doc said she needed stitches! My little baby needed stitches! I was definitely not okay then, but I pushed through. And now you would never know it happened if not for the tiny scar on her eyebrow.

You did good, Momma. Both of us did.

 
At August 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Life in Rehab said...

Visits over here always take me back 18 years and make me smile. There will be lots more boo boos and lots more scooping because you have a healthy, gorgeous little man. And if you think this makes you cry...wait til his beard comes in.

 
At August 5, 2010 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Heather @ Glitter and Gloss said...

Poor guy!!

 
At August 7, 2010 at 3:27 AM , Blogger Ummu Noora said...

poor baby..n poor momma i feel your pain totally totally!
and yes that silent cry is the worst i literally feel pain my chest when my baby does that!
good work that youve kept this from happenin for quite a bit..my baby jumped off our bed when she was barely a month!(She is a super lil baby..)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home