This Page

has been moved to new address

Blog Tips Part Two: The techy behind the scenes stuff

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Blog Tips Part Two: The techy behind the scenes stuff

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Blog Tips Part Two: The techy behind the scenes stuff

Blogging Tips Part Two:
The techy behind the scenes mumbo jumbo.

Button Up:
Give your readers the option to wear your badge proudly--to let others know that they think your blog rocks! Just think of how many fab blogs you have discovered by clicking a button on someone else's blog. I even suggest having two buttons: one with your blog logo and a featured button. 





Now the important part--how to GET a button.
Option #1: You can design your own button and create your own html in a few fairly simple steps. You can thank Linda over at Craftaholics Anonymous for putting together step-by-step instructions HERELinda also has a great tutorial to help you design your very own blog header, click HERE.

Option #2: Or you can hire a professional to make you a button.
I had Dumplin Design Studio create my button for me for a mere $10. Not only does she design the button, but she also provides you with the html code.

Make it Pretty:
There are some great places out there to find FREE blog templates, backgrounds, dividers, bling, etc. Here are a few of my favorite:
The Cutest Blog on the Block
Shabby Blogs
Leelou Blogs

And if you want a completely unique and super rad layout that screams "YOU", head over to Dumplin Design Studio and she will design you a blog you're sure to love {for a very reasonable price, might I add}.












Network:
There are wonderful Momma networking blogs and websites out there that will help you connect with future readers and learn about new blogs you may fall in love with. Here are a few of the ones I am a part of:
Mom Bloggers Club
SITS
Top Mommy Blogs
Mormon Mommy Blogs


Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog DirectoryMMB



















Blog






Blog Stats:
Your blog stats tell you way more than how many people are visiting your blog. You can find out what are your most popular posts, what pictures people are clicking on, how long people are staying on your blog, what links people are clicking on {great for sponsors}, and most important--where people are coming from. Every day when I check my stats, I first go see where people are clicking in from. This tells me who is featuring me and what networking blogs are sending me the most readers. These are a few FREE blog stat websites that I have used:
1. Stat Counter {my personal favorite}
2. Google Analytics
3. Whos Amung Us {yes, that's how they spell it}

Blog Conferences:
Now I am certainly not an expert when it comes to blog conferences {I have only attended one}, but I have grand plans to be a regular at many of them one day. They ROCK, because you get to meet all the people you read about. And then you'll get all sweaty and anxious when you finally get the nerve to go introduce yourself to them {kinda how I got when I finally approached Becca from Blue Cricket Design--who is even prettier in person, btw}. You will also meet certain chicas and it will be love at first sight {like when I met this hilarious Momma}. Here is a link to a bunch of Mom Blog Conferences to consider.

I'm Going to the CBC!

Facebook:
I know it seems like a lot of extra work, but I strongly feel that these social networking sites go hand in hand with your blog. Case in point: I get the most hits on my blog from facebook. Every time I have a new post, want to announce a giveaway or let people know about a new item in my Etsy shop, I post a link on my Little Miss Momma facebook page and then people start clicking away.

Twitter:
Now Twitter is another beast entirely, one that still hurts my brain and I haven't yet taken the time to get it all figured out. But, once again, Linda at Craftaholics Anonymous has put together a very helpful Twitter Basics post that will get you set up with what you need to know--click HERE.

Getting Sponsors:
ETSY ETSY ETSY--the happiest place on earth {second to Target of course}! Etsy is the best place to find new sponsors for your blog. The first step, is finding shops you LOVE--if you don't LOVE the shop, don't bother--I don't recommend having a sponsor that you don't personally endorse.

Now, when you contact these shops DO NOT send out a generic email--they hate that. Make it personal. Let them know WHAT you love about their shop and WHY you think they will be a good fit with your blog. Include key information that will help them decide if advertising with you will benefit them: key stats, a brief bio about your blog and information on how you run your promotional programs--perhaps include links to some past giveaways or reviews that you have written so that they can see a sample of your work. {I could go on about this topic forever, so feel free to email me if you have any specific questions}.

Keywords and SEO:
I actually know very little about this topic, BUT I will tell you what I do know. Choose the titles of your blog posts thoughtfully--because those are what get picked up by the search engines {google, yahoo, etc}. For example, I wrote a post on how to make yummy and beautiful cake pops. I would like to have called this post something like "Yummy Awesomeness", but I also want people searching for Cake Pop Recipes in google to be able to find my blog. Soooo, I titled my post "Cake Pop Recipe" and now it shows up in google when people search for a cake pop recipe--YAY!

So that's all I can come up with for now folks.
Puh-Lease let me know if you have ANY questions--if there are enough questions, I will likely write a follow up post with the best answers I can come up with!

For now, if you're hungry for more, head over to Blue Cricket Design and check out her tips on how to Break Into the World of Blogging--she gives super fab and practical advice!

Did you miss Part One? Click here to check it out!

Labels:

30 Comments:

At September 29, 2010 at 3:58 AM , Blogger Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

Great tips!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 6:52 AM , Blogger Amanda Joy Petersen said...

THanks Ashley! I just started following your site yesterday through Tatertots and Jello. I am so excited to get to know you through blogging. I loved the CCB, and hope that I can go next time, we'll see. Have a great day!

Amanda Joy Petersen
www.joyinthejumble.com

 
At September 29, 2010 at 7:11 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Another awesome post! Thank you thank you! I would love to know more about sponsers. I'm still very new, but I was just curious about how long you should be up and going, how many followers, etc before trying to find a sponser... and how you get one to agree to be your first one! :)

You're great, I read every post!

notjustamommy@blogspot.com

ajgarcia514 at bellsouth dot net

 
At September 29, 2010 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Brandy@YDK said...

Thanks so much for the info. It can be truly exhausting to keep up a blog relevant and popular, huh?

 
At September 29, 2010 at 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, LMM! I'm relatively new to blogging, so these tips are really helpful to me. Appreciate the tips!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Lee Ann L. said...

That facebook (fb) tip seems too true. I think people live on fb. I have to confess that I used to be one of them. LOL. :-)

Now, I just go to post links that caught my interests and updates on my blog. I also go to catch up on family and friends and main interests. I find that they (family & friends) enjoy what I post.

 
At September 29, 2010 at 9:52 AM , Blogger M.O.T.B said...

These were extremely helpful! Thank you so much!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome! Thank you for making this post. I almost fainted when I saw YOU had commented on MY blog. You have no idea how much that meant. Thank you for all of your wonderful advice {I used it!}.

Kendall
Songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com

 
At September 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM , Blogger Pink Peppermint Paper said...

Great info! Thanks for sharing.

Eleanor

http://site.pinkpeppermintpaper.com/blog

 
At September 29, 2010 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Lisa Fliehman said...

Thanks for all the great info!! It is nice to know I am not alone in trying to learn all this blogging lingo!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 6:47 PM , Blogger ilene @ muchloveilly said...

great tips, friend! and i really enjoyed these past two posts because i can testify that you practice what you preach! thanks for these two fabulous posts - super encouraging!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM , Blogger Delia said...

Wonderful tips! Thank you for all the helps. :)

 
At September 29, 2010 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Cyndi said...

WOW thanks for the GREAT tips! So nice to share the wealth of knowledge that you have...you are AWESOME!

 
At September 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Becca said...

Love you Smash! Get your butt to Utah already so we can play again!

 
At September 30, 2010 at 7:40 PM , Blogger Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Another post full of great advice. Thanks for all the info.

 
At October 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM , Blogger Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs said...

Great post.. I loved this one and the last one, any tips I can get helps so much! You are so kind to share. :) I had not idea about the blog stats.. I definitely wanna sign up for those!

I just recently started my own facebook page. I thought it would be too much upkeep... but im so glad I did it. so great.

Also Just wanted to let you know I gave you an award on my blog:
http://agapelovedesigns.blogspot.com/2010/09/two-awards-in-one-day.html

 
At October 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM , Blogger LilBuckarooDesigns said...

Just became a follower of your blog! I love what I have read so far! And your posts about blogging tips is great-especially for a blogging newbie like me :) So a big THANK YOU to you!!

Aileen - www.lilbuckaroodesigns.com

 
At November 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Cranes for Katy said...

Hi Ashley-Thanks so much for your helpful tutorials on blogging! I was wondering how to put another blogs button on my blog...for example when I participate in Funky Junk's Sat night she has a button but I can't figure out how to put it on my blog:(

Krista

 
At November 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Sarah Nicole said...

This information is really really helpful! I've had a blog (two actually), for a while, but I never paid attention to these kinds of things. Now I will! Thanks!!

 
At December 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM , Blogger rachel said...

New follower here and love what I see so far. I might spend hours this evening after kiddos are in bed going through your archives...because I'm weird like that. Just wanted to introduce myself. "Hi!"

 
At January 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just started my blog three days ago and I am SOOO glad I stumbled upon your page! Thank you thank you for taking the time to put this info together because it has already helped me so much!

:) Whit
whitspeaks.blogspot.com

 
At January 28, 2011 at 9:31 AM , Blogger Camille said...

I've been a follower for a few months, and just came across these blogging tips. Thank you! Great tips! My blog has hit a definite rut, (i moved 6 months ago, and am doing it again soon, so I've been super busy) and these tips may be just what I need! :-) Thanks so much!
Camille @ allaboutmommies.blogspot.com

 
At February 1, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Blogger The DeLeons said...

I've been pouring over your blog in my freetime trying to make mine pretty =) everything here has been so helpful! I was wondering how you did your cute little signature? Thanks for taking the time to help all of us!!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Blogger This Locey Life said...

so helpful! thanks thanks thanks!!

 
At April 16, 2011 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

Another great post! sooo excited to read more when I put my little guy down for bed ;)

Delighted Momma

 
At April 19, 2011 at 6:12 AM , Blogger the Momma Bird said...

Thank you so much for these tips! I finally was able to create my own blog header and button!!! I can't tell you how happy that makes my little heart. Nice seeing you stopped by my blog for my village stroll. :) I must say, you are inspiring me to do more with my little blog. Keep up your great work!
www.jandmparrott.blogspot.com

 
At April 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Ali said...

Wow, thanks for all the information. I just found your blog after searching for a tutorial and stumbled into the blogging tips. These are very helpful for someone like myself working on building my own blog.

 
At July 9, 2011 at 4:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

While I was reading your tips I felt like I was reading a friend's letter giving me some advised.I don't know you, but I can tell that you are a sweet person. Thank you so much for sharing this blogging tips! I send you lots of blesses.

 
At July 12, 2011 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Kate said...

You're killing me. I basically love everything I've read of yours. I need to go out and buy (ok, I'll try them first) your concealer because I love your makeup tutorial. I MIGHT have put on bronzer before my foundation today and have it turn out great. Like my dad (who was babysitting) said, "You look nice today." (I'm nine months preggo, so that's saying something.)

AKA- Thanks.

 
At July 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Kim @ Kims Kreations said...

So, I have a question. It may be the easiest question to answer, I don't know. I see that people (such as yourself) have "link up parties". I do not understand what the means. I understand that you link up with someone, but does that just mean you put a link to someone page on yours? Please explain. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home