This Page

has been moved to new address

Stencil Canvas Tutorial

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Stencil Canvas Tutorial

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Stencil Canvas Tutorial

Stencil Canvas Tutorial

It's time for another easy-peasy tutorial from this Little Miss Momma.
Just pick your own colors, stencil and canvas size for a customized look to go in your home.  This is a VERY quick and cheap way to add some color and art to your bare walls.
Here are the {SUPPLIES} you will need:


Canvas (I used a 18 x 24 canvas on sale for $6 at Michaels)
Stencil of your choice (available at Michaels)
Acrylic Craft Paint in the color(s) of your choice
Stencil Paint (found in the stencil section at Michaels)
Paint Brush
Scotch Tape

Step {One}:
Paint your entire canvas the color of your choice.  I mixed two colors of green (leaf green, citron) in order to get the more textured color of green that I was looking for.  Allow the canvas to dry completely before proceeding to step two.

Step {Two}:
Place the stencil over the painted canvas in the area that you want the first row of the graphic to appear.  Tape the stencil into place so that it doesn't shift when you start to paint.  Now, apply a VERY small amount of stencil paint to the tip of your brush. With stencil paint, a little goes a long way.  I highly recommend using stencil paint, otherwise you increase the chance that your paint will smear/run.   Paint over the entire stencil with the stencil paint.


Lift the stencil slightly as you go to be sure that you are filling all the areas completely.


Step {Three}:
Once you finish painting in the first row of your stencil, lift up the stencil and line it up again directly above your first row, and then repeat step two for this second row of grpahic. 


When you finish the second row you may notice some extra space on your canvas where there isn't enough room for another entire row of stencil/graphic. I chose to paint in another row of stencil going over the edge (see picture below).  I liked the look of the graphic going over the edge, but that is completely up to your preference.
And Wall-ah!!
In 3 EASY steps you now have an awesome piece of canvas wall art.

I think this project works amazingly when you use multiple canvases {i.e. 3 square or rectangle canvases} and continue the graphic onto the other canvases so that you have one large piece of art.

Happy Crafting!

**Check back tomorrow for ANOTHER tutorial. This one will tell you what to do with your extra buttons and old frames (and its not what you think)...**


giveaways







Show and Tell Green

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At March 22, 2010 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Kaysi said...

OOOOO that's great, I love how it turned out!

 
At March 22, 2010 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's really cute! I love the new look of everything :)

 
At March 22, 2010 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

Very Cute! What a great idea :)

 
At March 23, 2010 at 5:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's such a great idea! I'm thinking different size canvas' with coordinating colors and stencils to cover the big blank wall behind my couch!!! Thanx : )

 
At March 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM , Blogger senioritis said...

great how to ashley, cool idea and very economical. we've quickly strolled through the stencil section at michael's many times, now that we see this project though we might have to take a closer look at what's floating around there ;)

 
At March 23, 2010 at 5:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog. Love your tutorials. Love your NOW THAT'S MOTHERHOOD. Love your cute little baby, Wesley. I've got to print that picture with the blanket on his head for my desk. Love you soooooooo much. Auntie Debbie

 
At March 25, 2010 at 7:26 AM , Blogger Andy Porter said...

What a fantastic idea!! I'll have to do something like that for my bedroom. I can't stand paying hundreds for artwork! Love it!

 
At March 25, 2010 at 1:47 PM , Blogger Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

absolutely delightful! The colors are just yummy! ...plus a well done tutorial!

 
At March 27, 2010 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is terribly cute! Lovely colors as well.

 
At March 27, 2010 at 7:57 PM , Blogger Maria and Michelle said...

Ahhh! Love it!!! So simple, yet so dramatic!

~ Michelle @ FTSN

 
At March 28, 2010 at 6:18 AM , Anonymous Tammy@mypartyfile.com said...

I love this idea - great for my young girls!! I think we'll be making some art for their rooms over Easter break.

 
At April 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM , Blogger Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Ashley,
LOVE it! So pretty. Great color of green too. Thanks for joining the Craftaholics Anonymous party! I had fun stopping by and checking out your craftiness!
Linda

 
At April 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM , Blogger Stacie said...

LoVe it!! Thanks for sharing!

 
At April 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM , Blogger luluvillage said...

Very cool, seems easy enough- "seems" being the key word, lol- that I might try it,
thanks so much for the tutorial!

 
At May 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

I love the green and white together! Looks very crisp & fresh! Reminds me of a green apple. :)

 
At May 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Ebannie said...

I love it! Thank you for sharing!

 
At May 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM , Blogger Natalie of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com said...

wow i love your blog even more now...that is the stencil i used over my fireplace... and i made up some artwork just like this but different colors! we would totally be real life friends. haha.

http://thebusybudgetingmama.blogspot.com/2009/11/home-renovation-dining-room.html

 
At June 3, 2010 at 12:12 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Saw you on Ucreate.

I love this tutorial and will save it for when I redo my daughter's room. :)

 
At July 29, 2010 at 6:24 AM , Blogger Lina Thomlinson said...

I bought this stencil based on some random tutorial I saw online (not yours, alas) and I love how you used it. It might be exactly what I need to fill up a big, bare wall in my house. Thanks for the tutorial!

 
At July 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

i had the same exact stencil and used almost the same exact green on a pair of white curtains! lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home