This Page

has been moved to new address

Bringing England Home

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Bringing England Home

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bringing England Home

How to have England in California:

My little adventures in the English countryside have inspired me to keep things British upon returning to Cali--and what better way than through cinema.  I simply am not ready to part ways with this delightful accent, the rolling green hills, hand stacked stone walls and hopeless romantic history.  So I have compiled a list of my must-watch-upon-returning-home movie list. 

Here is what I have got so far:
{please add your suggesstions in the comments}


Pride and Prejudice
{Colin Firth and Kiera Knightley version}


Sense and Sensibility
{Confession Alert: I was 13 when I saw this movie for the first time, and I immediately fell in love with Hugh Grant}


Emma
{Never watched this movie before...is it good?}


Elizabeth: The Golden Age
{Never watched this movie either, but I have heard great things}


The Duchess
{reading this book right now, super interesting page turner and I'm not usually a fan of biographies}


Robinhood
{my favorite childhood movie}


The Queen
{Never watched this movie either}


I just know this won't be enough to satisfy my hunger for all-things-England, soooo, what other films do you suggest?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At April 14, 2010 at 7:12 AM , Blogger @JessEsco said...

Hmm I don't have any suggestions, other than reading anything by Sophie Kinsella or Marion Keyes makes me want to move to the UK. I thought it would be awesome to live there so my daughter would pick up the accent. Silly huh? But it sounds like an amazing place to live!

 
At April 14, 2010 at 8:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightly version) is one of my all time favorite movies. It is currently on t.v. daily! Sorry to say but Emma was awful. Costumes/accents/etc. all bad. The Queen is good maybe a little slow but interesting. Elizabeth the Golden Age (as well as the prequel or sequel) is very well done. I have watched them multiple times. The Duchess was good. I read the book then watched the movie so had a few "hey wait that is not the same" moments. I love all things British though! Even though this is modern age, Love Actually, makes me want to move to London! Have fun with all your movies!!!

 
At April 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Kristyn said...

Warning: after having a baby The Duchess will make you sob hysterically. Personal experience talking. But it is a good movie.

 
At April 15, 2010 at 7:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Atonement

 
At April 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM , Blogger Lori said...

Hey Ashley! I have been following your blog for a while via your Facebook updates. I love all of the fun posts! W is SO adorable! He has got the most contagious smile I have ever seen!

We are moving at the end of May. I'll post more details on my blog soon. Hopefully we will be able to make it up your way one more time before we leave. If we are in the area we will definitely give you guys a call!

 
At April 15, 2010 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

I'm enjoying your trip to England. I've been there several times and always come home with a new expression to impress (sometimes shock) my family and friends with. I was lucky enough to see it the first time before they started putting up all the "do not cross" barriers and charging admissions to EVERYTHING! These about cover the English movies I can think of. I'm Irish, so if you want of list of Irish movies (not as sophisticated as Jane Austen, BTW!) I'll be glad to offer those. I'm a sucker for English comedies and love Saturday on Public Broadcasting.

 
At April 16, 2010 at 12:10 AM , Blogger Poyer the Lawyer said...

You gotta add Love Actually and 4 Weddings and a Funeral!!

 
At April 30, 2010 at 9:04 PM , Anonymous Liza G said...

Hi Ashley! My love affair with England started in 1987 when I went to London for a semester during my junior year in College. I've been back 6 times since then. I'll be moving there in 5 years!! Can't wait. In the meantime, in addition to the movies you've recommended (I own all of them) I get my England fix with Notting Hill, Bridget Jones' Diary and Sliding Doors (with Gweneth Paltrow). Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home