This Page

has been moved to new address

Breaking the Rules for Mr. Darcy

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Breaking the Rules for Mr. Darcy

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Breaking the Rules for Mr. Darcy

Have I ever mentioned how much I {love} everything Jane Austen--because I do!

I'm afraid that I am your typical girly girl who turns to mush inside whenever I think of the mysterious and handsome Mr. Darcy.

I fell in love with classic literature when I picked up Pride and Prejudice for the first time in high school and I spent many of my sick pregnancy days curled up basking in P&P, the movie. 


There's just something special about this love story that makes me happy--similar to the emotions evoked from my more recent favorite, Twilight--and if you can put that special something into words for me, please do {in the comments section, of course}.
Which brings me to the story of my Mr. Darcy adventure:

Remember this lovely final scene in the movie {the scene where you had perma-grin on your face}...


..where Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy share a romantic evening on the balcony of his massive Pemberley Estate.

Well that scene, along with several others in the movie, was filmed at the Chatsworth House in Derbyshire, England--very close to where I am visiting my in-laws right now!  Naturally it was at the top of my must-see list. 

So, on a brisk English morning, my family and I took a trip to the country side to visit Mr. Darcy's home.  And here I am, at Mr. Darcy's estate, standing about 50 long yards away from that special balcony.  Notice the "private" sign and chain partition blocking my entrance {sigh}.


How could I come all this way and not touch that balcony for myself?
{plus, the hubby dared me to touch it}

So I looked right...and then I looked left...


and then I made a run for it!
*NOTE*: I had no idea the following photos were being taken by the hub. 


The whole time I was running I was imagining the look on Lil W's face as they hauled of his momma in cuffs.


As you will see, I wasn't quite brave enough to climb the steps.
And, I hauled butt back to my safety zone on the other side of the partition {note the classic expression on my face--proof that I didn't know photos were being taken}.


Climbing the last few steps to safety, a bit winded from the sprint in my cowboy boots:


All in all, totally worth it Mr. Darcy...totally worth it!



Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At April 10, 2010 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Erica said...

It's all about the man who walks the fine line of stalking and romantic. Mr. Darcy and Edward both walk that line perfectly.

Love the pics... looking forward to many more!

 
At April 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Poyer the Lawyer said...

Love the pics Ben snapped! I remember that face when we went off on similar "adventures" into similarly chained off areas at away games :) Great post!

Though I haven't seen P&P, I do have to admit in Twilight land, I'm on Team Jacob. Can we still be friends?

 
At April 11, 2010 at 6:47 AM , Blogger @JessEsco said...

That is so cute. Awesome!!! That must have been amazing!

 
At April 11, 2010 at 11:57 PM , Blogger Casey said...

Hahahaha this made me giggle!

 
At April 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

Oh to stand on the same steps that Mr. Darcy stood on ... I can totally understand breaking the rules to do that! Stumbled onto your blog today. Love it!

 
At December 22, 2010 at 10:52 AM , Anonymous {The Art of Making a Baby} said...

Hahaha! I love Jane Austen and P&P, but never really watched the movies based on her books until tomorrow, because I just got a notification that that very movie was shipped to me through Netflix. YAY!

 
At January 30, 2011 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Christy said...

I am new to your blog, so this is the first time I have seen this post. I must tell you that I have a major love affair with P&P, and that something that you tried to describe, yeah, I still feel it, even after watching this movie about 100+ times!! I am JEALous!! that you got to go there!!! I LOVE your blog, btw! :) (p.s. I just made my blog private so IF (ha ha, no pressure :) ) you want to see it, just send me an email at agape.mou at gmail dot com. You are beautiful, btw! :)

 
At February 25, 2011 at 5:54 PM , Blogger kristy.lynn @ kristy.makes said...

so the link within sent me to this.. how could i NOT click on the P&P picture?!

and.... YOU TOUCHED THE BALCONY!? YOU STOOD WHERE HE STOOD?!?! OMG.

so jealous.. and do you know.. i watched P&P the other night on some lowly channel that had the nerve to CUT that scene after i had so patiently waited for it to come?!

WHO CARES ABOUT CREDITS!?!?! i can google who the sound guy is if i really HAVE to know..

major buzz kill crappy network.

 
At February 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Jenny {Heavenly Blossoms} said...

oh em gee!!!!!! lol I read this book awhile back because I guess I was just too much of a tomboy as a teen to get into it...As an adult...I'm all about the Jane Austen books....le sigh Mr. Darcy.... And I just saw the movie (for the first time) thanks to Netflix!

What a great opportunity to see Derbyshire!!! Isn't it also the home of the Duke in the Movie the Countess??? Also with Keira Knightley?

I think I have a new found love for the Jane Austen era...lol

 
At March 5, 2011 at 1:23 AM , Anonymous Lauren @ The Semi Rural Mum said...

Oh My GOSH! If you love Austin, google the series 'Lost in Austin'...your gonna LOOOOOOVE it!

 
At March 5, 2011 at 2:49 AM , Blogger Natalia Lynn said...

That is awesome you got to go there! If you love Jane Austen, have you seen the longer P&P? It is 6 hours cut into 1 hour segments done my BBC in the 80s or something. Seriously, AWESOME. It's so close to the book and Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy. It is the best. You have to try it!

 
At March 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM , Blogger californiadreamin said...

I'm so jealous your in laws are in England! My dads side of the family lives in Blackburn and I've been to London once. England has my heart for sure

 
At March 5, 2011 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Crazy Wonderful said...

OMG!!!! I totally almost peed me pants! You've gotta stop doing this to me :D

Shelley

 
At June 30, 2011 at 3:29 PM , Blogger Laura said...

FABulous post. Very brave and funny sneaking onto the balcony!

If you ever get chance you should seek out the English BBC version of Pride and Prejudice - its with Colin Firth - the original Mr Darcy, and is hours long will take a full day to watch!

Oh, and look out for the "lake" scene if you don't already know it...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home