This Page

has been moved to new address

Lessons Learned as a New Mommy {revisited}

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Lessons Learned as a New Mommy {revisited}

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lessons Learned as a New Mommy {revisited}

Back in March I put together a post of the lessons I had learned as a new momma {up to that point}.  This morning {five months later}, I reread the post and couldn't help but chuckle at the things that "stressed me out" in the beginning.  Wow, I was narotic {and I kinda still am}--but isn't that my right as a new momma?

Let's revisit my "lessons learned" in the first 8 months of Baby W's life, shall we:
{Lil W 8 months old}


I have officially been a momma for 8 months and 1 week (unless you count preggo time--in which case I have been a momma for 17 months and 1 week). And in that time I have learned a few tidbits that would have been nice to know before I started this whole parenting business--little helpful hints that could have made my life, oh, so much easier... little words of wisdom that would have saved me countless hours of worry... little life lessons that, had I of known before, would have made me a wiser and calmer momma over these last 8 months and 1 week.



So...through my journey of mommy-hood I thought why not share some of these unexpected experiences:


1. You will NOT have your pre-baby body back after 6 months (unless you are super woman, in which case you should stop reading this entire post because nothing will apply to you). After Lil W was born I went to my 6 week OB check-up expecting to receive the "go ahead" to begin exercising again. I remember my disappointment when my doctor postponed physical activity for another 6 weeks. So you would think that I would be rearing to go as soon as those 6 weeks were up--well you would be wrong. Instead, every day turned into "I'll start working out tomorrow"--and that mentality has continued through to today (8 months and 1 week later).


2. Don't let anyone tell you that you won't need a SUV until you have at least three kids. I have one small 17 pound baby and I feel like a U-Haul would be the most appropriate method of transportation to house all of the necessary "gear" I need just to run to the grocery store two blocks away. Diapers, wipes, bottles, a binkie, an extra binkie, toys, snacks, blanket, changing pad, car seat, stroller, extra change of clothes, baby bjorn, hand sanitizer, and yes, another extra binkie. I suppose my baby wouldn't starve if I forgot the extra bottle or snacks just once--after all, my hubby manages just fine when he takes Lil W out and about with nothing but a car seat {*love you hun*}.



3. Your house will never resemble the "perfect order" it did pre-baby, and the sooner you accept that the more sane you will feel. If you stepped into my home today, you would think that you were in the home of Octomom. Every once empty ounce of floor space is now filled with some baby contraption I never knew existed a year ago. The bouncer and jumper have taken the place of the new end tables you wanted and the pack n'play has replaced the ottoman you were planning to buy--and this is your new reality, and it doesn't even bother you.


4. How you look when you leave the house is no longer a top priority--in fact, not really a priority at all. Instead, your new priority is making sure you Lil One is dressed to impress. *Embarrassing Confession Alert*: Some days I dress Lil W in his cutest little get up and take him to our local Costco just so I can smile as he receives compliments--I don't need to buy anything, I just go to be a proud momma and show off my well-dressed baby {how sad is that}. Meanwhile I have greasy hair, spit up stains on my shoulder, cheerios stuck to my bum and the same outfit I wore the day before.



5. You will never eat breakfast again. Apparently this is the period of the day when your new Lil One requires the MOST attention (bathing, feeding, dressing, poo diaper changing, entertaining after a good nights rest, going on a walk, etc). The closest thing I have ever experienced to breakfast is the last of the pureed bananas and rice cereal I fed Lil W. And yes, I have sadly acquired a taste for rice cereal--I'm serious.


6. Strangers will touch your baby. I know this, because before I had Lil W, I was one of those touchy strangers--I just couldn't resist. I didn't realize that my potential stranger germs were giving the new mommy a panic attack. And nowI receive my pay back every day as complete strangers kiss my baby's hands and let him put their fingers in his mouth, ick!


7. Speaking of strangers, as soon as you have a new baby you WILL be insulted by complete strangers. I remember the very first time the hubby and I took Baby W out in public. Lil W was 8 weeks old and the hubby and I hadn't left the house since we brought him home. We were desperate for a taste of the real world, not to mention we needed to restock our fridge--so we took a trip to the grocery store. We were so worried to take our little bundle of joy out in public that we loaded up on antibacterial gel and covered his car seat with a blankie so no one could touch him. Once inside the store, we were approached by a woman and her young children. She asked how old our baby was and when we told her he was 8 weeks she gave us a mini-lecture about how "she couldn't believe we would bring him to the store at such a young age--she never would have done that with her kids". My jaw hit the floor and my eyes filled with tears as she made me feel like the worst mom in the world. Lesson learned that day: let it go--because it will happen again, because even strangers will have an opinion about how you should raise your children.

8. And the last tid bit for today--There is such a thing as feeding your baby too many carrots. And yes its true, your baby will turn orange when you feed them too many carrots. And then your pediatrician will point this out and politely tell you to widen the range of foods you are feeding him.  And because you are learning to "let it go" you won't freak out that you have an orange baby, instead you will go home and feed him some green beans. 

Thats all the tidbits for now, more to come later!

Current Ashley back here...
And I'm thinking this post needs some updates and additions...
What lessons learned do I need to add?

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At August 28, 2010 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Melissa at Perry Jayne said...

My daughter at age 4 said to me as were leaving a store, "No one told me I was beautiful today." LOL. She'd gotten used to the compliments too. Because I am one of those mom's too that appreciates strangers telling me my kids are cute, so I try to coordinate the clothes of all 3 kiddos and make sure they're lookin' clean and cute when we're running errands. Oh and pre-baby body...ugh. The first kid threw me for a loop, but I lost about 30 pounds in the first two months and was back into my jeans even if they were tight. After baby number three...She's 3 months old and I'm still only in my very biggest maternity pants. It's sad.

 
At August 28, 2010 at 9:07 AM , Blogger stephaniegiese said...

Ha Ha, too funny and all SO true! I have been learning similar lessons about loving my new mom body and that my house just might never be perfectly clean again. I actually posted about both of those topics this week as well. If you get a minute, maybe you could visit my blog for some mommy camaraderie.

How to fake a clean house:
http://binkiesandbriefcases.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-fake-clean-house-in-10-minutes.html

Mommy body image:
http://binkiesandbriefcases.blogspot.com/2010/08/shape-of-mother.html

Have a great weekend with your little one!

 
At August 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Mearaid said...

A woman actually walked up to me in Walmart and asked me at what age I was going to pin back my daughter's ears! As to getting your pre-baby body back...three years and counting!

 
At August 28, 2010 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Samantha @ The Douangphilas said...

u had your baby a month before me. Mines is 7 months on the 29th, but i swear you wrote this about me! I can pretty much relate to everything you wrote lol! I'm still waiting for tomorrow where I'll have the time and energy to go workout and get my prebaby body back.

 
At August 28, 2010 at 9:58 AM , Anonymous Leanne said...

Those are so funny and true. I love the one about the carrots. Emilee had an orange nose and face for months. The doctor asked if I fed her anything besides carrots. She liked carrots the most so I fed them to her more often. I had no idea she'd turn orange, but she is the only one who gets a good tan in our family. LOL She's 12 now and we laugh everytime we look at her baby pictures with her orange nose.

 
At August 28, 2010 at 9:59 AM , Blogger emilyc @ Sew Super Sweet said...

I just did something similar a few weeks ago when I had the pleasure of watching my friend as a new mom!

http://sewsupersweet.blogspot.com/2010/08/motherhood-day-3-versus-year-3.html

And I agree with all of your's!
Happy Saturday!

 
At August 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Christine Renee said...

these are all sooooo true! before i gave birth i totally had a list of things i would never do && things that i judged others for. now most of that is stuff i do! like having her sleep in our bed still. And about the mommy body... just because i can fit into my old stuff doesnt mean it looks the same!!

 
At August 28, 2010 at 4:40 PM , Blogger  Justine said...

Once when I was in middle school, I was on an eat-carrots-whenever-I-can-roll to see if my skin would really turn orange! I guess it takes less carrots to turn a baby orange than a middle schooler.

I am totally going to come back to this post when I have a baby, say.. in like 5-7 years?! I need to finish school first and settle down with a stable job (and hopefully a house), but I am totally excited for a baby! Am I way over thinking my life right now? Probably.

 
At August 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Liz R. said...

i just found you from craft magazine link, i think... so tired from my 2 month old i can't think straight...

anyway - something no one will think to tell you when you have baby number 2: you will think it will be easier because you will already know that you can keep a newborn alive, but what's hard won't be the newborn. It will be the older sibling, even if not jealous, she'll want to poke the baby in the eye, stick her fingers in his mouth because "look, he's sucking on it", or carry said newborn down the hallway across the wood floor because "he's crying and wants you mom". jealousy and violent love are close to the same thing!

 
At September 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Love these :) I am 26, but get confused for a 16 year old ALL of the time. I just age well I guess you could say ;) anyhow, when I was pregnant and when my daughter was first born, people looked at me like I was disgusting or as though I should be ashamed. I heard "Arent you a little young to be pregnant/a momma?" For a long time I would take it so personal. Now when people question my age I say "Apparently it's a sin to age well. Im 26 years old, not that it's any of your business." And I say it with a smile :)

 
At September 8, 2010 at 7:48 PM , Blogger The Let's Talk! Mom said...

Oh, this is a beautiful site and your little boy is simply adorable and no, you will never sleep again, at least not for 3 years...

I became a follower and am a new blogger - one week old.

Please stop by my site and join as a follower. I'd love it.

Thanks, now catch some zzzzzzzz's...
Bianca

www.TheLetsTalkMom.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home