This Page

has been moved to new address

T-Shirt Flower Headband TUTORIAL

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: T-Shirt Flower Headband TUTORIAL

Friday, August 6, 2010

T-Shirt Flower Headband TUTORIAL

T-Shirt Flower Headband Tutorial
by Momma Go Round and Little Miss Momma

One of my besties, Nina at Momma Go Round,  came over for a craft day this week, and we went a little craft crazy while our boys destroyed my house, wiped chewed up gold fish on my cupboards and carpet, and danced to Elmo on Sesame Street all day.

{Nina the crafting goddess juggling our boys}

Well Nina recently started this new Momma/Craft blog that I am already in love with, and she came over to my house to work on her exciting project for next week...

Next week is T-Shirt Tutorial Week at Momma Go Round--with a series of fabulous t-shirt tutorials throughout the week, culminating in a super dooper t-shirt link party at the end of the week. 

Exciting, right!

Well, in the midst of t-shirt crafting madness, Nina squeezed in some time to teach me how to make these adorable t-shirt flowers that I attached to a stretchy headband...and NOW we are teaching you too!

Isn't this the cutest?!


Here's what you'll need:


Supplies:
stretchy headbands from Target
old t-shirt to cut up
thread in same color as shirt
needle
scissors
embellishments of your choice {i.e. buttons, beads}

STEP ONE:


Prepare to cut your shirt to use the material.


Cut out a small rectangle shape.


Fold the piece in half length wise.


STEP TWO:
Now cut your folded rectangle into the shape of a B.


Cut out as many flowers as you want to put on your head band. 
You will use two of these cut-outs per flower.
So if you want 3 flowers, you will need 6 cut-outs.
 I used three flowers {6 cutouts} in all different sizes.

{The two cutouts on the left are still folded in half.  The other two are opened up.}

STEP THREE:
Once you have all your cut-outs prepare to make your flowers.  Grab two pieces that are the same size and stack them on top of each other.  Below are 4 pictures of 4 different ways you can stack your flower petal cut-outs.  Stacking different ways will give each flower a unique look.


Now take your stacked flowers and run a stitch through the middle.


Scrunch up the middle of the flower so that it bunches in the middle.


Bunch it by pulling the center thread and using your fingers.


Now pinch the middle of the fabric so that it is in the shape of a flower.



Turn your flower upside down and begin to back stitch through the bunched up portion of the flower. 


Continue to sew back and forth through the flower until the fabric keeps a flowery shape.



Flip your flower back over and position your flowers to look like so:


Don't stress too much about the flowers being perfect--the imperfections make them look more whimsical.

STEP FOUR:
Now, pick the embellishments you want to sew into the middle of your flower.


Then stitch your bead/button directly through the center of your flower and then directly through the headband.  See below pictures.






Continue to sew on the other flowers.
The underside of the headband should look like this:


And that's it! 


Too cute, too simple, perfect summer project!


Happy Crafting!

Love,

Little Miss Momma and Momma Go Round
_______________________________________________________________

I will be linking this tutorial up at these fab link parties!

Oh yeah, don't you need some new art for your walls?
I thought so.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

At August 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM , Anonymous Leanne said...

Aww, I want to come craft too. Just kidding, but not really. I swear I sound so weird sometimes. Anyway, that is such a cute headband. I love the flower. Have a great time at Girls Camp. Sorry, I didn't respond sooner, I'm still trying to catch up. Girls Camp was great and the weather was beautiful during the day. We only got rained on at night. I hope you have beautiful weather. Wouldn't it be fun to be in Young Women together? I'm really fun, not weird.

 
At August 6, 2010 at 9:02 PM , Blogger Janna said...

These are so cute, and simple enough that I could probably give them a try. What a smart way to use old T-shirts!I'm heading over to Momma Go Round now to see what's going on over there. And I adore the picture of you holding your little man--he is a cutie!

 
At August 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM , Blogger  Justine said...

Oh these are so co cute! Thank for you showing me how to make them! :)

Justine

 
At August 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

What a GREAT idea!! Love that you used a t-shirt!

 
At August 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM , Blogger Little Lizard King said...

Way cute, mama! Thanks for sharing.

 
At August 12, 2010 at 12:54 AM , Anonymous hair accessories said...

So cute! I really love this and can't wait to make some. I love headbands and this is the most adorable one I've seen :) Thanks for sharing!

 
At August 12, 2010 at 2:14 PM , Anonymous creativejewishmom/Sara said...

This is so cute and just a bit different from some of the other techniques out there! I love the simplicity of it and the color! I'm going to link to this on my linking party before the list closes, but hope to see you on Sunday with another project, do drop by!

 
At August 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Dorian said...

So cute! I'm your newest follower!

 
At August 15, 2010 at 10:29 PM , Blogger Staci J said...

that is really cute! I love the feminine dainty look of it!!
Visiting from justsewsassy.com

 
At August 18, 2010 at 5:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love these! They look like poppies, would be great in red :)

 
At August 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Alana in Canada said...

Sweet! I wonder if my ten year old would like to help me make one with her?
Thanks for this!

 
At August 20, 2010 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Kristin Renee' Wynegar said...

This is so precious! And you and your son are too cute!!! I am your newest follower so come visit me haha :)

 
At August 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM , Blogger EllensCreativePassage said...

Very cute headband!

 
At August 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Super cute - you have a great tutorial!

 
At February 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Anonymous Carmella said...

I just found your blog and I am loving everything here! I just made a t-shirt flower pony-tail holder (light blue with dark brown wooden bead for center) and it turned out great! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to try more of your projects!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home