This Page

has been moved to new address

Mommy's Memory Box

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Mommy's Memory Box

Monday, July 19, 2010

Mommy's Memory Box

Mommy's Memory Box

I'm an only child.

And maybe that's the reason that as a child I was obsessed with my Momma's stories about her adventures {and mis-adventures} with her brother and sister. 

 From the time they dared each other to jump off the roof so they could feel the "zi-zee's" in their feet, to the time they convinced the neighbor girl to lick the melted Popsicle in the freezer until her tongue got stuck--these were stories I made my mom and aunt tell me over and over.

And then I remember sifting through the pages of my Mom's high school yearbooks and photo albums time and time again.  I had those pages memorized.

The page where she was pictured in her cheer leading uniform.

The one where she was all dressed up for prom with her high school sweetheart.

The one with her Charlie's Angels hair do.

And the one where she was riding the dirt bike in her ripped jeans.

I stared at these photos and imagined her life before being my momma.

My mom's memories have always been special to me.
And on this last Christmas she had those memories in mind when she gave me my favorite Christmas gift ever.


She hand painted and distressed my very own
Mommy's Special Memories Box--so that I could start to collect my important memories for Baby W.




She even filled the box with some of my memories that she had been collecting over the years {and I have since added a few items myself}:


Here's a closer look at some of my memories:


A. My most favorite picture of my momma and me {gotta love her 80's hairdo}
B.  My hubby's plaque from his mission to Chile
C. My key chain to my very first car {Jetta}


D. My Letterman from high school soccer
E. My hospital wrist band from delivering Baby W
F. A picture of my Momma preggo with me
G.  A picture of my high school BF who unexpectedly passed away after we graduated
H.  My sonogram when we found out we were having a boy
I. Baby W's belly button {yes, I saved it}




Each of these items tells a story about a milestone, meltdown or memory that have made me the ME I am today--the memories that have made me the momma, wife, daughter and friend I am today.

So thank you to my Momma.

Thank you for teaching me the value of memories.
Thank you for taking the time to teach me about where I came from. 
Thank you for being such a special part of the ME I am today.

And I love you.

I will be linking up my Momma's idea at these fab blog parties!

Labels:

11 Comments:

At July 19, 2010 at 5:15 AM , Blogger ilene @ muchloveilly said...

aw, ashley this is so special.
i love it. what a great idea! i'll have to remember this when i have a daughter one day.

 
At July 19, 2010 at 7:19 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Such a nice thing that you will be able to share with your family for years to come!

 
At July 19, 2010 at 8:11 AM , Blogger *Crystal* said...

I love this idea... I really want to build my daughter a hope chest sometime soon and you've inspired me to get on the ball with this post.

 
At July 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That is so sweet! When I was in middle school, my dad refinished a tiny antique trunk for me one Christmas. I kept all sorts of mementos in there, and it sits on top of my TV armoire now b/c there is just nowhere else to keep it. I really treasure that piece b/c my dad passed away when I was 16. I love sentimental stuff like this!

 
At July 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM , Blogger t & e said...

that is one awesome gift. I have started a memory box of my own for mya (and I too kept her belly button!) we are too much alike! see ya in a couple weeks. LOVE YA.

 
At July 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Diana said...

That's such an awesome thing to do for your baby! I kept my baby's belly button too. Hopefully he enjoys it when he's older!

 
At July 19, 2010 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Sara said...

I think that's such a perfect present! My best friend gave me a box for 'special things' in uni, and each time I look at it I think of her and our adventures. I need to find me a chest and start my own :) xx

 
At July 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

Your momma is the best! Love the idea so much! There's so much that is so easy to forget.

The pic of Liz unexpectedly hit me hard. I can't believe how long it has been and how much has changed. She would love to see all this!

 
At July 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM , Blogger The Preppy Strawberry said...

what a great idea! I love it! I got your email the other day about the award - NP! Glad you found the email! ;)

 
At July 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM , Blogger jessicalangprice said...

What a cute idea! I love that you have your OP letters in there! I have about 5 boxes of this stuff (remaining) that I just went through when I was home and it made me so happy to think back on high school days.

 
At January 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM , Blogger Mission: Life, Objective: Live. said...

Oh my gosh, what an AWESOME idea! Even though I don't have any kids {yet} I want to start making one of these!! I adore this!! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home