This Page

has been moved to new address

Shelf Design

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Shelf Design

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Shelf Design

Living Room Shelf Makeover {re-design}

This has been on my "to do list" for months now.

When winter ended I knew my shelves needed a punch of springtime color--but the addition of a high maintenance rugrat in our home put those plans on hold.

Last night, I was reading one of my favorite blogs--the Pleated Poppy.  And she lives in my dream home--all the custom finishes, furniture selection, paint color and wall decor--I am IN LOVE with all of her choices!

After reading the Lindsey's post about redesigning her shelves, I was inspired--and since I am living the self-titled "Summer of Organization" this year, I decided to bite the bullet and re-design the shelves while the hubby made ME dinner {yep, you read that right}. He's actually not half bad in the kitchen {so long as he's only making the three meals he knows how to cook}.

So here's how my night of redesigning went.

These are the BEFORE shelves: 


As much as I love the layout of these shelves, the dark brown colors really aren't my style.  I am more of a light and bright type of girl and I was ready for my living room to reflect that.

So I began with a clean slate:

The blue background was already there when we moved in--and it has kinda grown on me.  If I ever gain the energy to paint them {I despise painting}, I want to go with a chocolate brown background like I saw at the Pleated Poppy blog.

Once upon a time, there lived an adorable wedding picture in a beautiful frame with two lovely pillar candles in between these shelves.  Then, after much arm twisting and back rubs, the hubby got his way and installed this mondo TV with its hideous cords.  I promise it was much cuter before {but to be honest, it's pretty nice to be able to watch Glee on a TV bigger than a bread box}.

The first step I take when re-doing any decor, is to lay out all the items that inspire me. 


This doesn't mean I'll end up using every piece, just nice to have them available for switching things out. 


You can see I am leaning towards a 'brighter' look and feel.
Teal, Yellow, Orange and White.



This vintage type writer makes me smile.

Then, after two ours of mixing and matching and setting up and taking down, I finally settled on a design.  While I know I like this color pallet more than my previous darker design, the verdict is still out on whether I prefer this design--only time will tell.

 Ta-Dah! 












Tutorial for this chalk-board-label-basket on the way!


  This adorable picture star was made for Baby W by the lovely and talented Brittany over at Love StitchedOn the right are bunches of  knobs in a vase {I am a knob-collecting freak}.

On the top shelf is the quote that inspired this post with this challenge

  

I picked up this clock at Home Goods for $12.99 {it's the only new item}



And there you have it.
Check that project off my list.


I will be linking up to these glorious blog parties--go check them out for fab ideas and inspiration.

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

At July 13, 2010 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Wenn said...

So lovely =) The colors are great, being in a room with such colors makes me feel jolly

 
At July 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Brittany@Love Stitched said...

Ash I LOVE the new look of the shelves! SO clean and crisp! and hello when did you get that typewriter I AM IN LOVE with it :)

And your so sweet to put up that star I made for Lil W..I miss you guys :)

 
At July 13, 2010 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

The shelves look great! I love the star and the adorable wedding picture! Great job!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 1:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sitting down to this after spending an hour myself in the bedroom building book shelves from scrap materials I have on hand.
After reading this post I think I will tear them down and start over!
Your shelves looked pretty great before you started. I know the appeal of changing things up.
The end product is visually appealing as well.
I was thinking the poor typewriter has seen its share of hard times.

 
At July 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM , Anonymous Evelyn said...

I love the redesign, and the blue color to me pops. Enjoying your site.

 
At July 13, 2010 at 2:02 PM , Anonymous Leanne said...

Love that typewriter, especially the color. Your knob collection is so fun. Little W's footprint is adorable. Okay, I love it all. I don't know you well, but it seems to reflect your cheerful personality. Oh and by the way, because of you I now receive Cath Kidston catalogs. I don't know if my hubby likes you very well.LOL

 
At July 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Theodora Ofosuhima said...

Very lovely. I love the pictures.

 
At July 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

Waaaaay more you! I love it! And I agree with Brit...when did you get that typewriter and how have I not seen it before? You do know that whenever we get a house with oh, I don't know, SPACE, you are coming over and helping me arrange it. You have a way better eye for that stuff.

 
At July 13, 2010 at 5:30 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I think the shelf re-dp came out great! I love the signs 'families are forever' and 'enjoy the journey.' They make it warm. I love the color blue...but funny enough, I just painted a mocha brown in my hallway. I love it!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love it!!! You are very good at vignettes. I am not. ;) I also don't have a lot of storage space for pretty stuff when I'm not using it...so not a lot of fun knick knacks. :(

I can totally see how your current TV placement would enhance your Glee viewing sessions. Love Glee! :)

 
At July 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM , Blogger The Autocrat: Haley said...

Fabulous! I love that typewriter!!

 
At July 13, 2010 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Ashlee Marie said...

this looks lovely! You can really see the different feel! I just started a link party and I would love it if you would drop in and add your shelf change! http://imtopsyturvy.com/index.php/2010/07/topsy-turvy-tuesdays-1/

 
At July 13, 2010 at 11:13 PM , Blogger Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the vintage type writer and the color is just perfect. The knobs are also a favorite...neat idea of displaying them in a vase! Overall, it looks lovely.

 
At July 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM , Blogger luv4jack said...

Liked the old layout, LOVE the new one! I love the colors. They make each item "pop" and allow your eyes to be drawn and enjoy every one. I love the star from Love Stitched. What a great, creative, photo display! I love the color of the typewriter and the vase of doorknobs. Your shelves look bright, airy, and happy!

 
At July 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Jami said...

Beautiful redo! Especially loving the old typewriter!
smiles!

www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

 
At July 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM , Blogger Adventures in Abelingland said...

the typewriter is awesome. You are so creative and I have no idea how you do it. Does W got to school? Day Care? how are you SANE? lol

 
At July 15, 2010 at 7:53 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

Oh I love your shelves! And all the lovelies you have on them are perfect! Great redesign!!

 
At July 15, 2010 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Hattie said...

I love that blue typewriter! All the pops of color really freshened things up. great job!

 
At July 15, 2010 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Hattie said...

I love that blue typewriter! All the pops of color really freshened things up. great job!

 
At July 16, 2010 at 5:02 AM , Blogger Chandra said...

Happy and fun little blog. I love it! I am adding your blog to my blogroll and I am a new follower.

 
At July 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it sweetie. Very bright and cheery, just like you.
You are so awesome, daughter, niece, mom, wife, decorator, crafter, etc, etc. I love you. Bubs

 
At July 18, 2010 at 1:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It all looks terrific! The vintage typewriter made me smile too. We're so glad you joined us for another great Anything Related party!
{Rebekah}

 
At May 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Kassi said...

So cute! Have you thought about doing a house tour? It would be fun to see how you decorated the rest of your home!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home