This Page

has been moved to new address

A Change in Plans

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: A Change in Plans

Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Change in Plans

My evenings usually go like this:
Hubs gets home.
Dinner of some sort.
Possible, and likely frozen yogurt run.
A slow sunset stroll.
Change into my favorite PINK sweats and one of Ben's t-shirts.
Curl up on couch.
Play re-runs of Modern Family in the background.
Cuddle with the babe.
And blog.

And that's how I like it.
We don't really get out too much at night,
especially since birthing the Tasmanian toddler.

Tonight these were my plans,
and I was quite looking forward to
my elastic waist band and fro yo with coconut shavings.

But then I got a call from Nina,
that our dear and bestest friend Rachy-Poo {that's what I call her},
had some exciting news to share with us over dinner.
I hadn't seen Rachel in over a year.

Rachy-Poo was my maid of honor,
one of my college roommates,
and sat next to me in nearly every class in high school.
I would steal her pencils and hide her backpack,
we thought we were pretty funny back then.

The week Ben and I first met,
she drove me to the Santa Barbara airport at speeds that are certainly not legal
so that I could throw myself through the security check point and profess my undying love for this boy I had just met days earlier--but that's a story for another day.

What I'm getting at is Rachel is pretty special to me.
And while Nina is that friend that I call multiple times a day
to talk about important matters like what I ate for breakfast,
how many diapers I had to change that day,
and what great bargain I just found at Target,
Rachel is the other kind of friend.

{Rach and Baby W}
You know the one.
The friend that you can go a year without talking to
and then when you see each other its as if no time has passed at all.
You still complete each others sentences,
you still laugh at the same jokes
and you still make each other smile.

Because this kind of friendship is timeless.
This kind of friendship reminds you of a version of yourself you sometimes forget.
The old you.
The you before you had bills to pay,
babies to raise,
and real life decisions to make.
The you that played your music too loud,
laughed at Napoleon Dynamite,
and wore pajamas to the super market without batting an eye.
The fun version of yourself.
The young version of yourself.
The version of yourself that wasn't so afraid of the unknown.

And tonight when Rach announced
that she quit her super important job to travel the world,
I couldn't have been more proud.
Because in that moment, we weren't looking back
and remembering a time when our dreams were bigger than our britches.
Nope, in that moment Rachel reminded me that NOW is the time to make those dreams come true.

No this doesn't mean I'm packing up my suitcase to join her in Italy.
But it did get me thinking about my own list,
and how important it is to not forget what matters most to us.

Here's to those friends that matter most.


Our impromptu post dinner run to Target.
Did you know Target stays open till 11 p.m.
Yep, true story.


Just like old times.


Live it up Rachy Poo, and see the World!

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At June 23, 2011 at 12:16 AM , Blogger Rach said...

thank you for this post. i loved it, but love you even more. a test of true friendship is that we can not see or talk forever, but still pick up right where we left off. what if the 3 of us try a girls' night and we walk/run/bike?

 
At June 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM , Blogger the Momma Bird said...

those friends are the best! i hope your friend has a BLAST!!!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 12:32 AM , Blogger Nicole Wellon {evieLu} said...

This post made me get a tissue!. I left me Rachy Poo in Canada when I moved to Melbourne.
The other ironic part of this post is that I have a sister called Rachel and her nick name is Poodle & Rachy Poo. How funny is that?!?!?!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 3:01 AM , Blogger CaseyWiegand said...

this just made me sad that we are not "hang out in real life" friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 5:21 AM , Anonymous Jill @ A Mom With A Lesson Plan said...

I haven't seen my "Rachy Poo" in far too long. I think I'll give her a call today...

ps. maybe I'll got to he store in my pj's just for fun;)

 
At June 23, 2011 at 5:36 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

Great post! I think we all have/need that friend. I have one and she's awesome!

Loving the Target Dollar spot pics!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 5:40 AM , Blogger Kristen Thornburg said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that kind of friend! :)
So glad you got to reconnect with her... and good for her on doing what she wants! :)

 
At June 23, 2011 at 5:49 AM , Anonymous Angelina said...

Awww!
I love both kinds of friends. My "Rachel" just moved to my state and will be here for the next 6 months (her hubs is in the coast guard). I am especially excited because I am able to catch her while she is pregnant and will give birth to her son! :) Thanks for the post.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Abby said...

I love friends like that! This post makes me miss mine so much!!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Poyer the Lawyer said...

Love and miss all three of you so much! When I move back in August can you maybe add a fourth to that group??

 
At June 23, 2011 at 8:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have "that" friend and I completely agree! She may not be here everyday, but you better believe when I call crying she's in her car for the 4-hr drive so she can give me a hug! Good luck to your sweet friend!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

awww - you made me miss my girls! Gonna have to call them stat!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Craft That Party said...

I am sure so many of us can relate to having that special kind of friend.I think this is my favorite of all your posts!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Bree said...

Totally reminds me of two of my best friends! :) Love it! And them of course!!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 10:15 PM , Blogger Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs said...

SO touching, gave me goosebumps. I miss my friends like this! Glad you got to catch up and have fun.. and LUCKY Reachy Poo.. I have wanted to go to Italy since I can remember! Thats awesome for her!

 
At June 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM , Anonymous Mia Redrick said...

You both look like you had a lot of fun. Indeed, friends are the half of your soul missing, and when they come back after so many years of not keeping track, your heart skips and rejoices. Your pictures are fun to look at, lively and happy! :) To longer friendship to both of you.

 
At June 24, 2011 at 7:14 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

sounds like a lovely kind of evening to me!! :)

 
At July 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM , Anonymous Collette {pinklemonaida} said...

I just found your blog this week, and let me just say...I'm in love! It's a great balance between life, mommy, and crafts! This post makes my heart smile when you describe your friendship with Racel. Like my momma so often said... "Friends will come and go in your life, but if you have one that stays with you forever you are blessed." I am blessed and it sounds like you are too! Mom's right again!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home