This Page

has been moved to new address

Lessons Learned as a New Mommy

Sorry for inconvenience...

Little Miss Momma: Lessons Learned as a New Mommy

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Lessons Learned as a New Mommy

{Lil W 8 months old}


I have officially been a momma for 8 months and 1 week (unless you count preggo time--in which case I have been a momma for 17 months and 1 week). And in that time I have learned a few tidbits that would have been nice to know before I started this whole parenting business--little helpful hints that could have made my life, oh, so much easier... little words of wisdom that would have saved me countless hours of worry... little life lessons that, had I of known before, would have made me a wiser and calmer momma over these last 8 months and 1 week.



So...through my journey of mommy-hood I thought why not share some of these unexpected experiences:


1. You will NOT have your pre-baby body back after 6 months (unless you are super woman, in which case you should stop reading this entire post because nothing will apply to you). After Lil W was born I went to my 6 week OB check-up expecting to receive the "go ahead" to begin exercising again. I remember my disappointment when my doctor postponed physical activity for another 6 weeks. So you would think that I would be rearing to go as soon as those 6 weeks were up--well you would be wrong. Instead, every day turned into "I'll start working out tomorrow"--and that mentality has continued through to today (8 months and 1 week later).


2. Don't let anyone tell you that you won't need a SUV until you have at least three kids. I have one small 17 pound baby and I feel like a U-Haul would be the most appropriate method of transportation to house all of the necessary "gear" I need just to run to the grocery store two blocks away. Diapers, wipes, bottles, a binkie, an extra binkie, toys, snacks, blanket, changing pad, car seat, stroller, extra change of clothes, baby bjorn, hand sanitizer, and yes, another extra binkie. I suppose my baby wouldn't starve if I forgot the extra bottle or snacks just once--after all, my hubby manages just fine when he takes Lil W out and about with nothing but a car seat {*love you hun*}.



3. Your house will never resemble the "perfect order" it did pre-baby, and the sooner you accept that the more sane you will feel. If you stepped into my home today, you would think that you were in the home of Octomom. Every once empty ounce of floor space is now filled with some baby contraption I never knew existed a year ago. The bouncer and jumper have taken the place of the new end tables you wanted and the pack n'play has replaced the ottoman you were planning to buy--and this is your new reality, and it doesn't even bother you.


4. How you look when you leave the house is no longer a top priority--in fact, not really a priority at all. Instead, your new priority is making sure you Lil One is dressed to impress. *Embarrassing Confession Alert*: Some days I dress Lil W in his cutest little get up and take him to our local Costco just so I can smile as he receives compliments--I don't need to buy anything, I just go to be a proud momma and show off my well-dressed baby {how sad is that}. Meanwhile I have greasy hair, spit up stains on my shoulder, cheerios stuck to my bum and the same outfit I wore the day before.



5. You will never eat breakfast again. Apparently this is the period of the day when your new Lil One requires the MOST attention (bathing, feeding, dressing, poo diaper changing, entertaining after a good nights rest, going on a walk, etc). The closest thing I have ever experienced to breakfast is the last of the pureed bananas and rice cereal I fed Lil W. And yes, I have sadly acquired a taste for rice cereal--I'm serious.


6. Strangers will touch your baby. I know this, because before I had Lil W, I was one of those touchy strangers--I just couldn't resist. I didn't realize that my potential stranger germs were giving the new mommy a panic attack. And nowI receive my pay back every day as complete strangers kiss my baby's hands and let him put their fingers in his mouth, ick!


7. Speaking of strangers, as soon as you have a new baby you WILL be insulted by complete strangers. I remember the very first time the hubby and I took Baby W out in public. Lil W was 8 weeks old and the hubby and I hadn't left the house since we brought him home. We were desperate for a taste of the real world, not to mention we needed to restock our fridge--so we took a trip to the grocery store. We were so worried to take our little bundle of joy out in public that we loaded up on antibacterial gel and covered his car seat with a blankie so no one could touch him. Once inside the store, we were approached by a woman and her young children. She asked how old our baby was and when we told her he was 8 weeks she gave us a mini-lecture about how "she couldn't believe we would bring him to the store at such a young age--she never would have done that with her kids". My jaw hit the floor and my eyes filled with tears as she made me feel like the worst mom in the world. Lesson learned that day: let it go--because it will happen again, because even strangers will have an opinion about how you should raise your children.

8. And the last tid bit for today--There is such a thing as feeding your baby too many carrots. And yes its true, your baby will turn orange when you feed them too many carrots. And then your pediatrician will point this out and politely tell you to widen the range of foods you are feeding him.  And because you are learning to "let it go" you won't freak out that you have an orange baby, instead you will go home and feed him some green beans. 

Thats all the tidbits for now, more to come later!

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At March 14, 2010 at 10:42 PM , Blogger Amanda X said...

I found myself nodding and agreeing with so much of what you wrote as I read along! Being a Mommy is such a change. And what a wonderful change!!!

BTW...I think my Jax is huge. He's almost 17 lbs and he's just going to be 4 months this week! And we haven't even started on the solids yet...

 
At March 14, 2010 at 11:20 PM , Blogger Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

I thought I warned you about the carrots....I was an orange baby! It's ok, it just accents his tan next to my albino child!

 
At March 15, 2010 at 4:53 AM , Blogger Chelsea said...

Loved your post! I am 35 weeks Pregnant with our first baby and so looking forward to being a mama :)

 
At March 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM , Blogger MommylovesherKgirls said...

Fabulous post---so true! And your munchkin is sooo cute!

 
At March 15, 2010 at 8:37 AM , Blogger Brittany@Love Stitched said...

LOL I am not a big "reader" when it comes to blogs...but I read EVERY word and LOVED it! I KNOW you are a fabulous amazing mom and I just laugh when you say things like this...to be you are the SUPER WOMAN MOMMY! love ya!

 
At March 15, 2010 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Chelsea F. said...

Hey! Thanks so much for the fun craft night last week! And totally here yah on the stranger Chloe was always mistaken for a boy- since she was such a baldie.

 
At March 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM , Blogger ashley @ little miss momma said...

Love all the comments! Keep em coming! And Amanda, for some reason I have the tallest and SKINNIEST kid ever! I love that JAX is already 17 pounds--he is so so darn cute!

 
At March 19, 2010 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Kristine said...

LOL...so true!!

btw, if taking your baby out at 8 weeks makes you a bad mother, then I must be the worst ever!! I took my first to the mall at 1 week old...and my third, who came quite quickly, and unexpectedly-- I was out running errands, but didn't make it very far..I ended up driving myself to the hospital, 15 minutes away, contractions every minute or two, and all--got a trip to target for diapers the day we were released from the hospital, just 48 hours after his birth!!

I figure if women used to work in fields and hike across the country with their babies less than 24 hours after giving birth, a baby should be able to survive a short car ride in a high rated safety car seat, and a little fresh air!!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM , Blogger LilBuckarooDesigns said...

I am SO glad I found your blog!!! I don't feel so alone now in my new world of trying to make it all work as a new mom! :)

 
At October 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM , Anonymous Karin said...

I just found your blog and while I am quite a bit older than you, 46 to be exact, and my children are 21, 19 and 15 now, reading about your life as a young mom takes me back to the most wonderful time in my life, and really made me smile. My kids are wonderful still but there is just nothing like babies and small children. I miss that so much : / I too thought it was hard when they were little and it was nothing like I dreamed when I was pregnant, but when compared with the challenges of the teenage years, I'll take those small busy babies any day! : ) You sound like a wonderful mama. Enjoy every single minute of it!

 
At January 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what!! i can't believe that woman in the store! i think it's ridiculous how some people think babies should be kept inside for the first several months. i took my baby out for the first time when he was only 12 days old when we went to a wedding ceremony of a close friend. {i wouldn't recommend taking a baby out THAT early} but he survived!
you're a great momma and you have such a cute little guy. keep the posts comin! I love em!!

 
At May 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Ashley, I crack up every time I read this (and yes I read it multiple times). I can't wait to have a kidlet of my own and follow your tips :)

 
At May 8, 2011 at 6:06 AM , Blogger MommyMandi said...

Haha! Number 4 is totally me. The funny thing is, before I was pregnant, I told myself I would always get dressed and put on makeup. That is just one of the many failed expectations of myself. Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home